DATA ENGINEER | BOSTON
We’re Sofar Sounds, your global music community. We bring people together in unexpected spaces in over 400 cities around the world. We’re artists, music lovers and organisers. We’re a company of musicians for musicians. We create, perform, listen and work to make intimate live music experiences that connect us all. Every show is focused on the artist.
We create space where music matters.There is no other feeling in the world like discovering and experiencing new music and artists. In any Sofar room, when the audience has hushed and that first note is played - it’s magical.
As a Data Engineer at Sofar, you’ll be part of a team on a data driven journey, working to better understand our global Sofar audience so we can shape a consumer experience like nothing else. You will build and maintain Sofar’s data systems, constructing datasets that are easy to analyze so that we can better understand our audiences.
The role reports into our Director of Engineering and works closely with the Tech, Product & Design and marketing teams to build a progressive philosophy around data measurement, to generate and communicate insights and lead optimization. You will use proven methods to transform raw data into useful data systems that line up with our company goals.
Sofar has worked with over 30,000 artists, hosted over 1,000,000 fans at shows around the world and engages with millions more online each month. You will be part of a music-adoring tech team who are passionate about creating an industry-leading culture that supports artists and introduces their music to new fans.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Analyze and organize raw global consumer/ audience data
- Collaborate with a Data Analyst and partner with different teams across Sofar, establishing scalable processes
- Work with stakeholders to take business-driven experiments and A/B tests from concept to completion
- Build data systems and pipelines to fulfil requirements cross functionally
- Interpret trends and patterns in Sofar’s audience / consumer behavior
- Conduct complex data analysis and report on results
- Prepare data for prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Build algorithms and prototypes
- Combine raw information from different data sources across Sofar
- Explore ways to enhance our data quality and reliability
- Work with our marketing team and their partners to ensure we collect the data we need to measure performance
- Help champion a data-driven culture throughout the company
WHO YOU ARE
- Established Data Engineer
- An engaging communicator
- You’ve worked in a fast-moving e-commerce or consumer business at startup/ scale up phase
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- You can extract, transform and load data efficiently using Python or similar tools.
- You can perform some level of analysis of that data using Python, R, or similar tools.
- Hands-on experience with SQL database design
- Retargeting and brand experience a plus
- A super thorough analytical approach, you think about the future and business questions through to measurable and actionable insights
- Understanding of relational databases and advanced SQL skills; an understanding and experience with ETL processes preferred
- Knowledge of advanced statistics or machine learning techniques
- Experience using Business intelligence tools like Tableau
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
We are proud to have a global workforce and strive towards having a diverse workplace. We have an Equity Council, Employee Resource Groups and ongoing learning and development in this area - DEI is important to us and our culture.
COMPENSATION, PAY EQUITY & BENEFITS
Our people and global communities are precious - we aim to treat them as such. At Sofar we feel strongly about the compensation and benefits that we provide across the board so that no matter your skill set or experience you’re paid fairly according to market rate, plus your health and wellbeing is supported through our local benefits packages.
LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT
We invest in your learning and development and strive to create a learning culture through formal and informal workshops, training, and a personal L&D budget and learning path.
We’ll work with you closely to support you throughout the hiring process. If your CV/ resume shows that your skills and experience have synergy with the job description, then we’ll hop on a call to say “Hello” and to start getting to know one another. If it’s not the right opportunity this time, we’ll always let you know.
Typically our hiring process takes a maximum of 4 weeks end to end. You’ll be guided through the process by our Talent team and an interview panel of lovely humans who will give you support and feedback throughout - we’ll do our very best to create an interview environment that brings out the best in you and sets you up for success.
If this sounds like you, we can’t wait to meet you - come on in.