Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
You will be a key contributor to the design and manufacturing of all our hardware products – working on the "nuts and bolts" details all the way up to systems level integration and final assembly of our ocean sensors, and then shepherding your designs through manufacturing with excellent documentation and drawings. You have a solid foundation in mechanisms design, consideration for tolerance stack-ups, and practical knowledge when it comes to "design for manufacturing". You thrive in small fast moving collaborative teams, and enjoy taking ownership of a problem and understanding the holistic picture before resolving issues with your elegant and simple designs. Why bother with overly complex features when a simple solution will suffice. You strive for the shared success of improving the health of our oceans and planet by shipping a cohesive, solid and impactful product.
Some projects you’ll be a part of:
- Building new Bristlemouth (www.bristlemouth.org) integrations for our Spotter and Smart Mooring products.
- Designing, testing and validating next generation subsurface buoyancy elements.
- Designing underwater sensor housings that integrate with our Smart Mooring.
- Integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes by product design, fabrication, assembling, tooling, and materials
- Conceptualize and model solutions to mechanical and manufacturing problems in CAD.
- Build and test prototypes.
- Own the design of multiple subassemblies and lead mechanical design discussions among cross-functional teams.
- Work closely with electrical, firmware and mechanical engineers.
- Collaborate with product, sales, support and directly with customers to find ways of enabling new marine sensing applications.
- Work directly with external vendors and contract manufacturers.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- At least 3 years of professional manufacturing experience or a graduate degree plus 1 year of experience.
- Competent in 3D CAD systems to design parts and assemblies (Solidworks experience or ability to learn).
- You have participated in transitioning designs to contract manufacturers.
- You have visited foreign and domestic vendors, suppliers, and factories.
- You can create 2D drawings and track revision changes in a BOM using PDM systems.
- You have working knowledge of drafting standards and tolerancing.
- Experience designing for systems in aerospace, automotive, robotics or marine applications.
- Experience designing and shipping products at mid to high production volumes.
- Expertise in FEA modeling and analysis for static, cyclic, and thermal load cases.
- Experience designing o-ring seals for water proofing in harsh environments.
- Operating manual lathe and milling machines or CNC machines.
- A passion for or connection to the ocean.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.