We’re looking for an empathetic engineering team lead to join our Infrastructure team, to lead the team as it shapes Snyk’s ability to safely and rapidly grow our core product.
The Infrastructure team owns the tooling that Snyk uses to build and operate our platform reliably, at scale, and under continuous change. Snyk has a strong devops culture: the people that build the software, run the software. The infra team was formed in early 2019 to ensure our operational capabilities and tooling remain fit for purpose as we grow. This year the team has drastically increased our system observability, resolved a number of reliability issues at a system pinch points using custom autoscaling, increased quality-of-service guarantees without increasing costs through better capacity planning and intelligent resource allocation, and overhauled our CI/CD tooling.
You know how to use your past operations experience to drive activity with metrics, identify what’s important amongst competing priorities, and lead a team towards value-based outcomes. You’ll use that knowledge to mentor and coach, manage team activity, and contribute hands-on where needed. Here at Snyk, you’ll help build out an effective team of site reliability and infrastructure engineers.
You’ll spend your time:
- managing the day-to-day activity of the team, striving for predictable and repeatable success.
- working with Snyk’s product teams to help them make best use of the platform’s capabilities, and identifying and driving the build-out of new capabilities.
- interacting with technical staff at our on-premise customers to troubleshoot issues they face, and use that experience to mature and improve our on-premises deployment tooling.
- building, maintaining and continually improving the tools that we use to deploy and operate the software that we build. This includes automated build and deployment, secrets management, system observability, measurement, log aggregation, scaling, and more.
- managing, mentoring, coaching, and driving forward the personal development of individuals on your team.
We are distributed across four offices in London, Tel Aviv, Boston and Ottawa, with 10% of the company working fully-remote. We’ve made an organizational commitment to building a strong, effective, distributed company: we form teams across multiple offices wherever possible, and we invest in communication so that we can benefit from each others’ perspectives. As well as an always-on webcam so we can see what’s happening in each office, we make heavy use of video calls, Slack, and some inter-office travel.
You should apply if you:
- believe that devops is an outcome, not a role.
- have some managerial experience, and are looking to grow your skills in this area.
- have experience as a site reliability engineer or similar.
- have experience building and maintaining devops automation and tooling.
- communicate proactively, and enjoy working with people from multiple disciplines.
- have seen good (and bad) infrastructure, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t
- are hands-on, curious and love to explore new domains, technologies, and approaches.
- are agile and enjoy the speed of a fast-paced, highly engaged startup environment.
We’d especially love to hear from you if you:
- have experience running software on Kubernetes (or similar).
- have experience making data-driven infrastructure decisions.
- like to automate things as much as possible.
- have some programming experience.
Please apply below! We care deeply about the warm, inclusive environment we’ve created and we value diversity - we welcome applications from those typically underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this role, but are not totally sure whether you’re the right person, do apply anyway :)
Snyk’s mission is to help developers use open source code and stay secure.
The use of open source is booming, but security is a key concern (https://snyk.io/stateofossecurity/). Snyk’s unique product enables developers and enterprise security teams to continuously find & fix vulnerable dependencies without slowing down, offering seamless integration into Dev, DevOps and DevSecOps workflows. We care deeply about the quality and usefulness of the tools we develop, always focusing on our customers and users.
We are experiencing rapid growth - and we want you to join us! By the end of Q3 2019 alone, Snyk was already adopted by over 450,000 developers, and including multiple enterprise customers (such as Google, New Relic, ASOS and others). We also raised an additional 70m, announced September 10, 2019, from investors such as Accel, GV and Boldstart, demonstrating that they are as excited as we are by Snyk’s progress and potential.
What does our interview process look like?
We start by having a video call to get to know you. We’ll tell you more about us, what we’re up to on our different teams, and why our culture is so great! We also want to hear about you, your skills and experience, and why you are interested in exploring Snyk.
Next up we’ll send you a coding exercise. Ideally, you will get it back to us within a week and we can take a look at your work.
From there we’ll have an onsite interview where you will get to visit our office, meet a few different members of the team, do some pairing and extension work on your coding exercise, and find out everything you need to know about the way we work.