We’re looking for a site reliability engineer to join our Infrastructure team to maintain and improve Snyk’s ability to safely and rapidly grow our core product.
The Infrastructure team owns the tooling that Snyk uses to build and operate our platform reliably, at scale, and under continuous change. Snyk has a strong devops culture: the people that build the software, run the software. The infra team was formed in early 2019 to ensure our operational capabilities and tooling remain fit for purpose as we grow. This year the team has drastically increased our system observability, resolved a number of reliability issues at a system pinch points using custom autoscaling, increased quality-of-service guarantees without increasing costs through better capacity planning and intelligent resource allocation, and overhauled our CI/CD tooling.
You know how to use your past operations experience to focus on the core of a problem through metrics, collaborating with your team to make sure the Snyk service reliably meets our customers’ needs. Here at Snyk, you’ll be involved in building useful tools, working with customers running Snyk on their own infrastructure, and helping to move the field of application security forward.
You’ll spend your time:
- applying software engineering approaches to classic operations problems.
- improving the reliability of Snyk’s platform and product.
- building, maintaining and continually improving the tools that we use to deploy and operate the software that we build. This includes automated build and deployment, secrets management, system observability, monitoring, log aggregation, scaling, and more.
- working with Snyk’s product teams to help them make best use of the platform’s capabilities, and identifying and driving the build-out of new capabilities.
- interacting with technical staff at our on-premise customers to troubleshoot issues they face, and using that experience to mature and improve our on-premises deployment tooling.
We are distributed across four offices in London, Tel Aviv, Boston and Ottawa, with 10% of the company working fully-remote. We’ve made an organizational commitment to building a strong, effective, distributed company: we form teams across multiple offices wherever possible, and we invest in communication so that we can benefit from each others’ perspectives. As well as an always-on webcam so we can see what’s happening in each office, we make heavy use of video calls, Slack, and some inter-office travel.
You should apply if you:
- believe that devops is an outcome, not a role.
- have hands-on experience as a site reliability engineer or similar.
- have experience building and maintaining devops automation and tooling.
- communicate proactively, and enjoy working with people from multiple disciplines.
- have seen good (and bad) infrastructure, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t
- are hands-on, curious and love to explore new domains, technologies, and approaches.
- are agile and enjoy the speed of a fast-paced, highly engaged startup environment.
We’d especially love to hear from you if you:
- have experience running software on Kubernetes (or similar).
- have experience making data-driven infrastructure decisions.
- like to automate things as much as possible.
- have some programming experience.
Please apply below! We care deeply about the warm, inclusive environment we’ve created and we value diversity - we welcome applications from those typically underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this role, but are not totally sure whether you’re the right person, do apply anyway :)
Snyk’s mission is to help developers use open source code and stay secure.
The use of open source is booming, but security is a key concern (https://snyk.io/stateofossecurity/). Snyk’s unique product enables developers and enterprise security teams to continuously find & fix vulnerable dependencies without slowing down, offering seamless integration into Dev, DevOps and DevSecOps workflows. We care deeply about the quality and usefulness of the tools we develop, always focusing on our customers and users.
We are experiencing rapid growth - and we want you to join us! By the end of Q3 2019 alone, Snyk was already adopted by over 450,000 developers, and including multiple enterprise customers (such as Google, New Relic, ASOS and others). We also raised an additional 70m, announced September 10, 2019, from investors such as Accel, GV and Boldstart, demonstrating that they are as excited as we are by Snyk’s progress and potential.