Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Automation/QA Engineer to help Foundation-DB (FDB) scale to Snowflake’s constantly growing needs for faster and larger metadata storage. You will be working in testing, verifying and automating the performance of FDB open source code and the way Snowflake uses the database.
As a QA Engineer on this team, you will:
- Do performance analysis on FDB, making recommendations on how to improve the database itself and the workloads Snowflake runs on top of it
- Design and implement automation to provide a robust regression environment that can find problems before the code is released to our production systems
- This automation should help the rest of the team increase their velocity
- Design automation to capture performance bottlenecks at the moment they are happening (e.g. Thread stacks, Atop, Flame graphs)
- Evangelize best practices in library usage and end-to-end architecture
- Participate in the design and implementation of next generation systems
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
An Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 5+ years of relevant industry development experience
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- Expertise in troubleshooting performance bottlenecks
- Good understanding of OS level concepts (process management, concurrency, memory management, IPC, I/O patterns, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively both autonomously and in teams
- Strong technical problem solving, communication, and collaboration skills
- Excitement by the challenge of hard technical problems
- Intense curiosity and willingness to question
Bonus points if you have:
- Familiarity with C++ 11 and onwards (even better if it is C++14!)
- Good working knowledge of Linux / Unix OSes
- Continuous Integration Frameworks (experience with Jenkins will be great!)
- Have worked on performance analysis for databases
- Solid knowledge of NoSQL engines
- Understanding of Relational Database concepts
- Experience working on Open Source projects
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.