Who We Are:
SmithRx is a rapidly growing, venture-backed Health-Tech company. Our mission is to disrupt the expensive and inefficient Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) sector by building a next-generation drug acquisition platform driven by cutting edge technology, innovative cost saving tools, and best-in-class customer service. With hundreds of thousands of members onboarded since 2016, SmithRx has a solution that is resonating with clients all across the country.
We pride ourselves for our mission-driven and collaborative culture that inspires our employees to do their best work. We believe that the U.S healthcare system is in need of transformation, and we come to work each day dedicated to making that change a reality. At our core, we are guided by our company values:
- Do the right thing. Especially when it’s hard.
- Embrace the challenge.
- Build bridges and lift up your colleagues.
The Engineering team at SmithRx is developing the next-generation modern pharmacy benefits management (PBM) platform that will change how companies administer and manage pharmacy benefits. Our unified technology platform provides real-time actionable insights that drives cost savings, powers clinical services and results in a brilliant customer experience. A unified technology platform exists nowhere in the pharmacy benefit ecosystem to programmatically solve widespread deficiencies. The result is a PBM delivering unmatched service quality and operational efficiencies that exceeds all industry standards.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a key role in the entire engineering lifecycle from design, documentation, build, test and maintain our SmithRx product suite. You will advocate and bring best practices/methodologies, coding standards and large-scale system design perspectives to our team. We need our engineers to be versatile and driven, display leadership and ownership qualities, and be enthusiastic to take on new challenges across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
What will you do:
- Collaborate with stakeholders and technical leads to build functional and technical requirements to produce high-quality, scalable software and services
- Provide scope and risk estimates for systems and feature builds by building technical design documentation
- Continually build, improve, and reinforce software development best practices, design patterns, tools and technologies.
- Evaluate and utilize client and server-based frameworks, like React, GraphQL, and GORM, when appropriate to extend the needs of our platform.
- Leverage AWS technologies, like Lambda and Fargate, to handle various types of jobs and batch processing
- Ensure that our codebase is fully tested end-to-end, has the desired level of code coverage, and that the features are well documented
- Become a go-to for troubleshooting/production issues by performing triages for issues that arise, assessing the impact, creating and executing a plan for short-term and long-term mitigation, and performing root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues.
- Coach, mentor, and train engineering staff with their assigned projects by reviewing and providing feedback on code developed, and performing design and code reviews
- Work with senior leadership to turn technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter
- Be the cornerstone of a collaborative learning culture through mentorship, code reviews, the exploration of new technologies, and other innovations
What will you bring to SmithRx:
- Positivity; non-dogmatic, team-first attitude
- Flexibility; someone who is responsive and comfortable with ambiguity
- 12-15+ years of software development experience working on software applications.
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or applicable experience
- Extensive experience working with a compiled language such as C, C++, or Go
- Significant experience designing and implementing scalable solutions; a solid understanding of design patterns, database design, and testing best practices.
- Highly disciplined approach to software design and development and ability to work on features independently (accurately forecast delivery milestones and work with stakeholders to ensure that expectations are met)
- High proficiency with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, including schema design, SQL tuning, and database monitoring
- Demonstrated knowledge of open source APIs, CI and CD pipeline, AWS platform, Docker, and Kubernetes a plus
- Located in California or on PST time a plus
- Experience at a high-growth startup a plus
What SmithRx Offers You:
- Highly competitive wellness benefits including Medical, Pharmacy, Dental, Vision, Life insurance
- Flexible Spending Benefits
- Discretionary Time Off
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave benefits
- Professional development and training opportunities