Smile Identity builds trust.
Smile Identity is Africa's leading identity verification, and digital Know Your Customer (KYC) provider. We help companies scale rapidly across Africa by confirming the true identity of their users in real time, using any smartphone or computer. Our technology is powered by proprietary Machine Learning algorithms designed specifically for African faces, devices and network connections.
Our team is a diverse group of hardworking, truth-seeking, and fun-loving Smilers spanning 5 offices, 10 countries and 8 time zones. Our products are already making waves across many industries, from Banking to Fintech and Telecoms. We recently announced a $20M Series B raise and are backed by leading global investors, including Norsken22, Costanoa, CRE, Future Africa, Susa Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Courtside Ventures, Two Culture Capital, Latitude, Valuestream Ventures, Intercept Ventures and Vinod Khosla who are supporting us every step of the way.
Do you like working alongside a team of intelligent individuals? Do you want to have fun while making a real difference? Here at Smile Identity, you'll get the freedom and autonomy you need to do your best work, the flexibility to be creative, and the opportunity to grow and put your unique stamp on our mission.
What are you waiting for? Come with us on this amazing journey!
We are looking for a data engineer who loves bringing order to chaos. The individual in this role will maintain our data warehouse and associated data infrastructure and provide the entire organization with the data they need to be successful. This role is open to candidates across the globe. You will be working with colleagues ranging from the US West Coast to Eastern Africa, with that in mind candidates working in timezones between US Eastern and GMT are preferred.
What You Will Do
- Work with our entire organization based in the US, London, Berlin, Lagos, Nairobi, and Cape Town to centralize our data and maintain our data warehouses/lakes.
- You will select the right tools and services to bring our data together and provide a solid foundation for all our product and business analytics. Your north star? Empowering the entire organization with data to make the best possible decisions.
- Design, build and launch extremely efficient and reliable data pipelines to move data.
- Architect, build and launch new data models that provide intuitive analytics.
- Manage the delivery of high impact dashboards, tools and data visualizations
- Build data expertise and own data quality, including defining and managing SLAs for data sets.
- Partner with leadership, engineers, commercial, and data scientists to understand data needs.
- Influence short- and long-term strategy with cross-functional teams to drive impact.
- Educate your partners: Use your data and analytics experience to discover opportunities, identifying and addressing gaps in existing logging and processes.
- 4+ years experience with data infrastructure, ETL design, data warehousing, schema design and dimensional data modeling
- 2+ years of experience in SQL, Python, or similar languages
- Experience with designing and implementing real-time pipelines
- Experience with code management tooling such as Git, Github
- Experience with data migrations in production settings
- You have a deep understanding of modern data tooling and infrastructure
- You are comfortable working independently with periodic guidance from engineering & business teams
- You are a strong believer in scale and automation
- You are entrepreneurial — you take initiative, solve problems and love to troubleshoot.
- You are a great collaborator and can communicate effectively. You enjoy teaching and learning from your colleagues
- You are not ideological about programming languages or tools. You have opinions but are open to discussion and tradeoffs
- You are a pragmatist
- You are a seeker of truth
- Experience querying big data using Spark, Presto, Hive, Impala, etc.
- Experience with data quality and validation
- Experience with SQL performance tuning and E2E process optimization
- Experience creating reports and dashboards with modern business intelligence tools (Tableau, Metabase preferred)
- Experience working with Postgres, Hevo, and cloud or on-prem Big Data/MPP analytics platform (i.e. Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, Azure Data Warehouse, Netezza, Teradata, or similar).
- Interest or experience in working in the African Fintech Ecosystem
- Experience in a high-growth team and/or startup experience
- Ability to communicate and prioritise effectively with a distributed team around the world
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Stock options
- Opportunities for travel (Post-Covid19)
Autonomy and a chance to work at a mission-driven company with purpose
What success looks like
Successes in your first 3 months include
- Take the time and learn the ins and outs of our data warehouse and dashboards. Investigate how data is being logged in our systems and what existing data pipelines exist across our two data warehouses (Postgres and Redshift).
- Evaluate existing dashboards, data quality, and pipelines and identify gaps.
- Get introduced to the Product and Engineering team and their bi-weekly sprint processes. At this point you are mostly observing the dynamics and taking on tasks by the team, while building a partnership and exploring support opportunities.
In your first 6 months
- Based on your initial exposure to our data stack, you have already built several improvements based on the gaps you’ve identified. You are able to manage the flow of data across the stack. You have extended our system capabilities as needed and have improved efficiency and simplicity of shared tools and libraries.
- You are deeply embedded in how we set up data logging and are able to manage and successfully execute on data requirements from teams across the company (e.g. Engineering, Product, CVML, Data Science, Marketing, Commercial).
- You proactively develop technical methodologies or tools which can solve important classes of problems. You can evangelize these methodologies and tools to other data scientists and engineers to scale multiple people.
In your first 12 months
- You are the company expert in our data, infrastructure, and technical architecture, and are actively involved in product and business operations to either improve existing data tools or suggest new methodologies to accelerate team execution, including influencing data best practices.
- You drive scalable solutions across teams.
- You are able to solve challenging technical problems faced by multiple teams and provide significant technical advice to newer or less-technical analysts.