At Smartsheet we are committed to helping everyone transform their approach to work to help them achieve what matters most. By changing the way the world works, we believe we can change the world. As a Principal Engineer you will build capabilities to empower the world's largest companies to transform their approach to work. You will support and mentor teams that own essential platform services dealing within Authentication/Authorization and features that IT Administrators use to manage and secure their users and their work.
You will report to our Sr. Director, Engineering located in our Bellevue, WA office, or you may work remotely from anywhere in the US where Smartsheet is a registered employer.
- Architect, develop, and operate Java and Node.js distributed services deployed to millions of users.
- Initiate and lead projects across multiple teams.
- Lead the Smartsheet-wide system design community driving excellent architecture across the company.
- Embed with teams to mentor and make direct individual contributions but also advise senior leaders to shape the technical vision for Smartsheet.
- Work on what you want during annual "Hack the Sheet" weeks.
- 9+ years of system architecture experience across multiple languages and frameworks or equivalent experience.
- 9+ years' programming experience with technologies such as Java
- 5+ years web application development.
- Experience improving team Lean/Agile/Scrum practices.
- Experience with authentication protocols (SAML, OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect)
- Familiarity with design patterns, RESTful APIs, storage systems, and cloud infrastructure
- BS in Computer Science, a related field, equivalent industry experience, or equivalent educational experience.
- Motivated: You accomplish goals by coding, testing, deploying and have fun working with a team.
- Responsible: You build and operate distributed, high-volume services that keep running in production.
- Passionate about DevOps, CI/CD pipelines and test automation.
- Customer-focused: You understand and improve customer experience by building the right thing the right way.
- Collaborative: You work directly with partner teams to understand, document and develop APIs and scalable systems to meet their requirements and promote adoption.
- Experienced at balancing delivery and technical debt through refactoring.
- A champion of iterative, lean, and Agile planning and delivery practices who coaches and develops people and systems to promote more iterative delivery.
Perks & Benefits:
- HSA, 100% employer-paid premiums, or buy-up medical/vision and dental coverage options for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- Flexible Time Away Program, plus Incidental Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
- US employees are automatically covered under Smartsheet-sponsored life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability plans
- US employees receive 12 paid holidays per year
Smartsheet provides a competitive range of compensation for roles that may be hired in different geographic areas we are licensed to operate our business from. Actual compensation is determined by several factors including, but not limited to, level of professional, educational experience, skills, and specific candidate location. In addition, this role will be eligible for a market competitive bonus and RSU stock grant upon accepted offer. California & New York: $199,800 to $275,400 | All other US States: $185,000 to $255,000
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, Australia, Costa Rica, and Germany. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!