In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, we deliver a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organisations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes.
Smartsheet is seeking a talented Corporate Counsel to join its collaborative legal team. We are looking for a highly capable and motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills to assist us in supporting the EMEA sales function and EMEA general operations. Working closely with the regional leaders, the local DACH sales team, broader EMEA business and cross functional stakeholders and agency partners. This individual will have first-class stakeholder management skills and will work as part of a broader legal team to drive results.
This individual will report to our Senior Corporate Counsel located in our London office. The role can be based in either Germany or the UK.
- Review, negotiate, interpret, and advise on a wide range of legal, commercial and corporate agreements and forms including, but not limited to cloud services, data protection, employment, marketing and promotion, sponsorship and marketing agreements, event-related agreements, and more
- Collaborate with all members of the legal team across office locations, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of document templates, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents.
- Provide training and guidance to employees on legal issues, best practices, and company policies.
- Support general business operations and assist with special projects.
- Provide support for the localisation of standard forms of agreement and help to implement and improve localised policies, procedures and processes, in close cooperation with departments with customer-facing responsibilities and business support functions.
- 4+ years of PQE with a minimum of 2 years spent in-house.
- Qualified to practice law in Germany
- Demonstrated fluency in spoken and written English and German.
- Experience negotiating a variety of different types of contracts and working with different departments.
- Ability to balance legal risk and business need while upholding the company's business standards and risk tolerance.
- Prior experience supporting direct sales and regional operations in cloud software organisation, with a good understanding of the DACH software market.
- Familiarity with data privacy issues, particularly GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and EU regulatory authorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgement, and strategic thinking.
- Able to operate in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
Perks & Benefits:
- Employer-paid Private Medical and Dental, additional cost for family members
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- Monthly contributions toward your pension
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- 25 days paid for Holiday + 8 Bank Holidays + Flexible Time Away Program
- 20 weeks fully paid Maternity Leave
- 12 weeks fully paid Paternity/Adoption Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks including a counseling membership, salary sacrifice options, commuter discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account.
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the UK (role specific)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, Australia, Costa Rica, and Germany. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!