We are looking for a Sr. Manager of Data Science and Business Intelligence to lead a horizontal team of data scientists, Data Engineers, BI analysts and Technical program managers. You will be the essential cog in the wheel and support the entire BI and Data platform team by providing a strong foundation of technical program management as well as partnering with the org in supporting strategic Data Science, BI and Data platform initiatives. In this role, you will seek to provide scale to our existing BI operations by managing a horizontal team of analytics professionals sitting in a remote location, in India. As part of your role, you will liaise with our data platform team and provide technical program management support on horizontal data initiatives by developing business specifications for engineers, data governance, and advocating broader data literacy.
You will report to our VP of Data Science and Business Intelligence located in our Bellevue, WA office. You also have the option to work remotely from any Smartsheet registered location within the U.S.
- Lead a remote team (BI analysts and data scientists) to enable data-driven discovery, data self-serve and data insights through Machine Learning for strategic Smartsheet priorities
- Work alongside the Data Platform team and provide technical program management functions to support multiple horizontal initiatives to include; compliance, data governance, prioritization & business specifications for ingestion process, building Machine Learning pipelines, and optimizing systems costs
- Be an evangelist for all our data assets and promote data literacy and advocacy across the organization
- Develop a business value framework that helps capture impact of data models and business insights, etc.
- Understand Smartsheet's business model, identify strategic insights, inform leadership, and recommend execution plans against analytical insights
- Work at the intersection of business, BI, and the data platform team to ensure support for all Machine Learning initiatives across the lifecycle, from inception and conception, to development and production
- Develop cross-team relationships with other BI and Data Platform leaders to ensure we are meeting existing and future analytics needs
- Lead strategic analytics initiatives and present insights to senior leaders and stakeholders to drive actions and impact
- Hire, develop and coach a team of talented data, BI and analytics professionals
- Support other duties as needed
- 8+ years related experience in data science, business intelligence and technical program management
- 3+ years previous management experience, especially in managing a remote team located outside of the US
- Critical thinking with analytical & financial skills; strong sense for business success
- Excellent problem structuring, identification and resolution
- Hands-on experience in statistics, machine learning languages (e.g., Python and R) and BI tools (e.g., Tableau)
- Ability to synthesize complex issues into easy to understand concepts and structuring executive presentations
- Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous situations and across organizational boundaries
- MBA or equivalent experience
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- HSA, 100% employer-paid premiums, or Buy-up medical/vision and dental coverage options for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- Flexible Time Away Program, plus Incidental Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!