Smartsheet is looking for a Senior Director of Experience Design to lead our new design system and design system team.
We are looking for a versatile design professional who will focus on creating a beautiful and easy-to-use design system that saves our partners time and raises the bar on design and front-end solutions. This won’t be your first time solving this task. You will have built a design system previously along with the team to expand and support it.
We are at an important point in the evolution of our product. The need to evolve and modernize our experience has set us on a path to simplifying and redefining our established components and patterns. Smartsheet is on course to lead the future of dynamic work; we will therefore not only need to design robust solutions quickly and at scale, we will also need to look ahead and improve as new experiences are needed.
Designers at Smartsheet tend to be a bit non-traditional; coming to design through non-traditional routes. We welcome all kinds of diversity and embrace the unique perspectives, transferable skills and relevant experiences that being “a little different” brings with it.
You will report to the VP, Experience Design and will be located in our Bellevue, WA Headquarters.
- Assess, inventory, consolidate, invent, prototype, document and advocate for the Smartsheet Design System.
- Help establish and promote a vision for the future of design at Smartsheet.
- Define the user experience strategy for your areas of oversight.
- Establish goals and target metrics that design decisions can be mapped to.
- Have a Servant Leadership mindset and lead your team as “team captain”.
- Lead UX designers in a motivating and supportive manner and keep the team on top of the latest UX techniques and tools.
- Build partnerships with other groups within the company by working collaboratively with product teams to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints.
- Work with our UI Engineers to ensure that our design system is robust, reusable, configurable, accessible and feasible.
- Translate business goals into new, creative and engaging product experiences.
- 10+ years experience designing exceptional experiences for complex, data-driven web and mobile applications.
- 10+ years experience as a manager leading, growing, inspiring and mentoring direct reports.
- Experience delivering high-quality design system solutions at scale.
- Experience leading a large team of designers (10+).
- Experience designing for SaaS platforms.
- Passion for the field of User Experience.
- Experience facilitating activities to gather insights on user needs and goals and conducting usability testing.
- Experience finding simple, innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Expert in Sketch, Axure or other visual design, wireframing, and prototyping tools. Proficiency in rapid prototyping.
- Experience working with teams across the organization, including Product Management and Engineering.
- Ability to articulate design decisions and advocate for the user.
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!