The Senior Revenue Accountant will be instrumental in helping Smartsheet navigate through its next phase of growth and expansion. We have many customers who purchase our offerings through different channels. Complexity comes from both the ways in which customer agreements are structured, as well as the sheer quantity of contracts which are signed every day. As our business continues to grow, it is pivotal that we maintain the ability to record and report on Company’s revenue in complete, accurate and timely manner. This role will be responsible for identifying, recording, reconciling and evaluating revenues from all of Smartsheet’s offerings. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is interested in operational and/or technical accounting, and who wants to gain a very deep understanding of the business and our various revenue streams.
This full-time position reports to the Senior Revenue Manager, and is based in Smartsheet’s corporate offices in Bellevue, WA.
- Record revenue recognition related transactions on a monthly basis
- Reconcile deferred revenue GL and related accounts
- Develop a deep understanding of the transactional flow through various systems to monitor and ensure accurate financial results
- Report, on a monthly basis, on activity in revenue accounts and different performance metrics
- Create monthly variance analysis reports including presentation to senior management
- Continue to increase efficiencies in processes to generate metrics which are required for financial statement reporting purposes
- Interact with financial operations team and perform controls to ensure proper invoicing of our customers
- Cooperate with Smartsheet’s Services organization to ensure proper processes are in place to recognize Services revenues on a monthly basis
- Review, assess, and make recommendations for the processes which lead to or impact revenue recognition
- Participate in review of more complex sales deals to ensure proper revenue recognition under the ASC 606 standard
- Help us continue to build and scale our processes, in accordance with industry’s best practices
- Participate in continued development and evaluation of internal controls and processes, in accordance with best practices and SOX requirements
- Understand business drivers and effects on financial results to ensure business changes are accurately reflected in the financial results and analysis
- 5+ years of progressive experience in accounting and/or finance functions with preference for strong experience in revenue accounting.
- A mix of public and private accounting background preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to deliver under pressure, and address an array of competing priorities
- Willingness to understand how accounting systems work, and desire to help process improvement
- Knowledge of ERP systems (preferably NetSuite) is a strong plus
- SaaS experience preferred
- CPA certification is a plus
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 80,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.