Smartsheet is looking for an Accounting Manager to oversee its accounting function in Australia. In this role, the selected candidate will be the lead finance and accounting representative in Australia, and will be responsible for the monthly close process, expense accounting, fixed asset accounting, other activities related to daily accounting within Smartsheet’s AUS entity, and interaction with individuals across the business. This role requires strategic vision to establish and build out the accounting department and the ability to operate independently. This role is based in Sydney, Australia and reports to Vice President, Corporate Controller, located in the USA.
- Oversee and take responsibility for monthly close of Smartsheet’s AUS accounting books, maintained in both US GAAP and in accordance with AASB standards.
- Oversee and take responsibility for monthly variance analyses.
- Coordinate with teammates located at Smartsheet’s headquarters to identify and implement operational process improvements.
- Collaborate with the Tax team to develop processes around VAT and filing VAT returns.
- Compile statutory financial statements and work with auditors to deliver a smooth statutory audit.
- Ensure continued development and adherence to internal controls, in accordance with best practices.
- Serve as a leader in communicating accounting policies and best practices to members of Smartsheet’s AUS operations.
- Build the team. Help further develop current team members, and hire, coach and retain additional team members as we continue to grow.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in accounting and/or finance functions with preference for strong experience in accounting
- Chartered Accountant, Certified Practising Accountant or equivalent certification very strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of both US GAAP and AASB standards
- Knowledge of VAT (with experience coding invoices for VAT and filing VAT returns)
- Experience preparing statutory financial statements and coordinating statutory audits
- A mix of public and private company experience is a plus
- People and team management skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaborate with Finance, Legal, Revenue Accounting, Financial Operations and other groups across the company
- Knowledge of an ERP system (preferably NetSuite)
- Experience with managing monthly close activities
- Ability to operationalize new accounting policies
Founded in Bellevue, WA in 2005, Smartsheet is a high-growth cloud-based (SaaS) work management platform that empowers collaboration, drives better decision making, and accelerates innovation. Smartsheet is designed to unleash the benefits of greater work agility and collaboration by providing a powerful platform for organizations to plan, track, automate, and report on work. Smartsheet empowers teams to execute with speed and accountability — and make better decisions, faster.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Honest: Be truthful and do what is right
Authentic: Be real and challenge directly
Driven: Operate with urgency and focus on results
Innovative: Develop new ideas and think creatively
Effective: Deliver quality
Supportive: Be kind and help each other succeed
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.