We are looking for our next Senior Software Development Engineer - Data Science & ML (Senior SDE) to help develop machine learning-powered assistive features inside Smartsheet. We are building features to accelerate and augment the way Smartsheet users collaborate on work. We are looking for an engineer to analyze our data, cleaning our data, iterating on models, and working with a dedicated team to operationalize and monitor these models. With thousands of subscribing organizations and millions of users, there are lots of opportunities to make a meaningful impact and promote growth through machine learning within Smartsheet. The ideal candidate has built machine learning-based features at a SaaS company in an agile environment and has software development and data science experience.
You will be based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to our Engineering Manager. Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Participate in the entire development life cycle, from concept to release, in a DevOps and Agile environment.
- Implement new Smartsheet features and improve the ones we have already built using Java and AWS.
- Data mine large datasets and draw insights.
- Develop how ML models are measured and versioned.
- Identify areas for further investigation including additional data.
- 8 or more years of experience developing production software for a SaaS company, including at least 3 years in a machine learning or data science environment.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or another technical field.
- Proficient in implementing several statistical models and data mining tools (predictive modeling, clustering, logistic regression, multivariate regression, decision trees, neural networks).
- Hands-on experience executing data analysis using tools such as SQL, R, Python, Tableau, and Google Analytics.
- Hands-on experience building models using tools such as SciKit Learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, MXNet.
- Experience using tooling to operationalize, monitor and version machine learning models such as Kubeflow, Airflow, MLFlow.
- Hands-on experience building data pipelines using AWS.
Nice to Have:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Experience with front-end development using TypeScript, React, and Redux.
- Hands-on experience using Java 8 and above, the Spring framework, and other backend frameworks.
- Knowledge and experience with Differential Privacy
- Experience developing infrastructure with Terraform, Terragrunt, and Helm.
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match (50% up to 6%, effective May 1st) to help you save for your future
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!