At Smartsheet, we are building the next generation workspace collaboration platform. Trust is one of our core values, and as an engineering organization, we execute that core value by maintaining and innovating on systems that secure our customers’ data. As we continue to grow our customer base, we are seeking a Security Engineer who understands how major systems and enterprises are operated, deployed and defended against the most aggressive threat actors. This role is a critical part of the engineering organization.
A qualified candidate will leverage years of experience in the technology sector in protecting the organization through hardening, configuration, management and operation and monitoring of production systems. This candidate will recommend systems and changes, identify gaps in capabilities. An ideal candidate will be aware of the latest threats and how to mitigate them. Candidates will have a strong understanding of underlying infrastructure technology, how it is deployed and what kinds of structures and configurations lead to the most resilient deployments.The candidate will have a passion for the protection and defense of a company’s key assets and have a “security mindset” for detecting badness and eradicating it.
The position is on the Infrastructure Security team and will report to the Senior Director of Security Engineering. The position will be located in our Bellevue, WA technology headquarters.
- Managed design, testing, deployment and operation of security systems for infrastructure and other components of the security team. This includes scanning, logging, monitoring and alerting systems.
- Select cutting edge tools for endpoint protection, monitoring, and analysis.
- Harden systems, cloud and network infrastructure to potential attacks.
- Participate in or lead incident response for systems under protection.
- Work in concert with other Information Security Functions and team members to influence related aspects of the information security program—providing feedback into control effectiveness (false positives/negatives) and improve risk exposure.
- Collaborate across engineering and other operational teams to enhance protection strategies.
- Provide SME and Guidance during meetings with senior leadership and business partners on related topics.
- Analyze, document and communicate gaps in existing systems and capabilities.
- A solid foundation as a Security Infrastructure Engineer.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in deploying complex systems, engineering new tools or capabilities, and leveraging purpose built or off-the-shelf systems to secure infrastructure.
- Have identified security gaps and weaknesses in products and designs.
- Strong written and verbal communication, and teaching skills.
- Evaluate and communicate risk in a fact-based manner.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with frequent production releases and changes.
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis.
Nice to have:
- Experience defending IaaS, PaaS or SaaS products and with advanced adversaries.
- Deeply understand infrastructure and system security.
- Experience implementing and configuring complex product and enterprise infrastructure.
- On the ground understanding of complex breach and incident response.
- Professional engineering experience.
- Experience with FedRAMP or federal government environment or SOC II, ISO 27x and other complex compliance regimes.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work everyday. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.