Who we are
Smartsheet is the best way to plan, capture, manage, automate, and report on work at scale, empowering teams and organizations to move from idea to impact - fast. The Smartsheet cloud-based work execution platform enables teams to collaborate with speed and accountability, and get real-time visibility into what matters most, to make better decisions faster.
As a member of the Experience Design team, you’ll have the opportunity to shape the future of work.
Smartsheet is headquartered in Bellevue, WA. This role will report to the Director of UX Research and will be located in our Boston, MA office.
What we do
Our UX Research team is nimble, pragmatic, and ambitious. We do UX Research to inform Smartsheet product, messaging, and strategic growth. Our goal is to connect knowledge about Smartsheet customers across business units and drive customer-focused innovation within Smartsheet.
We are not a typical UX Research team. A few things that distinguish us:
- We don’t strive to have a seat at the table. We have it. Our designers, PMs, engineers, execs, and the entire company actively seek research insights to drive business decisions.
- All researchers support multiple product pillars. We never get bored doing the same thing.
- Everyone does both strategic and tactical research because everyone needs to think big and be hands on.
- To us, research is a team sport. We work together a lot, and we are also fully embedded in our respective product pillars. We don’t do research for them, we do it with them.
- We come up with new ways of being insightful every day. We run a weekly company-wide customer insights program, reinvented benchmarking, successfully completed 800+ in-person concept testing in less than three days, and much more.
What you will do
- You will be the first Smartsheet UX Researcher working in the fast-growing Boston office. You will own and coordinate end-to-end UX Research work for three product pillars developed in Boston.
- You will work with design, product management, and engineering to build a product that is changing the way people work, and with product marketing to explain the value to customers.
- You will partner with customer success, consulting, training, and the rest of the organization to synthesize what others know and drive your insights to other teams.
- You will have a strong point of view on what customers need and what the product needs to do to address these needs.
- You will lead 1-2 strategic research initiatives that go beyond the immediate needs of the product pillars you work with, pushing the company to anticipate customer needs, not just react to them.
Who you are
Unmistakably, you are:
- A truth seeker who offers accurate, meaningful and timely insights;
- A go-getter who finds elegant solutions to complex problems;
- A persuader who explains complex things with simplicity and clarity;
- A partner who admits mistakes learns from feedback, and offers help to others;
You have done end-to-end research to support the product lifecycle.
- You have conducted audience analysis and created relevant artifacts to explain target users;
- You have tested product concepts in various forms, from paper prototypes to production code;
- You have conducted studies to understand first experience as well as product adoption over time.
You have shipped multiple products.
- You know how to frame research problems and help a product team to ask the right questions;
- You can deliver meaningful insights in any timeframe you have;
- You have a proven track of record in successfully influencing your product team and executives alike;
- You have rolled your sleeves up, dealt with technical issues, and never said: “it’s beyond my expertise”.
- You know your engineers and their issues as much as you know your customers and their needs.
You have used many research methods and may have invented a couple because you are smart, curious, and are never satisfied with the status quo.
All this typically comes with at least a B.A. / B.Sc. degree and 7+ years of industry experience.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.