When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to manage a Full Stack development team, with a larger focus on front-end technologies. The team supports Smartsheet’s Product Growth roadmap, which is focused on frequent A/B testing that drives customer engagement and growth. In this role, you will work closely with the Product, Sales and Marketing groups to build strategies focused on helping new and existing users discover value in the Smartsheet application, and to make it easy to obtain a license. You will lead your development team to implement roadmap features iteratively and quickly, with high quality and predictability. You will work with UX/Designers as well as QA to deliver solutions. You will communicate proactively and effectively with different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders. You and your team will work with modern front end technologies as well as back end services, in a fast growing organization and environment.
This position and team are based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to the Director of Engineering. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Initiates, leads and delivers significant improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across multiple teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
- Able to completely run the team as if it's a small startup in a bigger ecosystem with broad cross-team focus
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Analyze feature sets for implementation efficiency and performance: facilitates feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
- Communicate proactively and often with peers, executives and team members
- 10+ years software development experience
- 5+ years previous management experience
- Experience building highly scalable and highly available production services
- Experience building teams including, recruiting and retention
- Experience implementing and using CI/CD models and tools
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with frequent production releases
- Solid understanding and use of Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with B2B-focused SaaS apps (Google Docs, Office365, Salesforce, etc.)
- Familiarity with Single Page Applications
- MySQL database experience (performance, scalability, availability)
- Experience with AWS technologies
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.