Smartsheet is seeking a talented Senior Corporate Counsel to join its collaborative legal team. We are looking for a highly capable and motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills to facilitate our expansion into European markets through supporting direct sales transactions, development of the resale channel, and EMEA general operations. This position reports to the VP of Legal and is located in Smartsheet’s Offices in London, England.
- Work with the EMEA sales team to negotiate, draft, and review commercial agreements concerning subscription software, data processing, intellectual property use, and professional services.
- Provide strategic and practical legal advice to sales, channel, and other departments with customer-facing responsibilities.
- Liaise with various company stakeholders to gather information and approvals necessary for contract-related matters.
- Localize standard contracts and other legal documents.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents pertaining to contracts and other legal practice areas.
- Collaborate with all members of the legal team across US office locations (in Massachusetts and Washington), including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Deliver training and guidance to employees on legal issues, best practices, and company policies.
- Support general business operations in EMEA and complete special projects as requested.
- 10+ years of PQE with a minimum of 3 years spent in-house.
- Prior experience supporting direct sales in cloud software organization.
- Expertise in negotiating customer and partner contracts and working directly with sales and channel teams.
- Familiarity with data privacy issues, particularly GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and EU regulatory authorities, especially the UK Information Commissioner's Office.
- Ability to operate efficiently in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
- Skilled at developing strong working relationships with other business units.
- Aptitude and disposition to uphold company’s business standards and risk tolerance and recommend practical solutions respecting such standards and tolerance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, and strategic thinking.
- Persistent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage communications in various time-zones and confidence in making independent decisions.
- Qualified to practice law in the UK, with additional qualifications in EU jurisdictions a plus.
- Demonstrated fluency in spoken and written English. Fluency in German or French is highly desirable.
- Willingness to travel internationally on a periodic basis.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
"Getting From Idea to Impact! At a time when organizational speed and execution are critical to gaining a competitive edge, modern work — especially at scale — is increasingly bogged down by legacy tools and legacy thinking.
Smartsheet is designed to unleash the benefits of greater work agility and collaboration by providing a powerful platform for organizations to plan, capture, manage, automate, and report on work. Smartsheet empowers teams to execute with speed and accountability — and make better decisions, faster."
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.