When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet's purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to build a top-tier software organization that will help design and implement Smartsheet's next generation architecture. In this role, you will mentor other engineers, scale the team and can act as a lead on projects. You will drive positive change in the work environment with a consistent track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to an Engineering Leader and you also have the option to work remotely from any Smartsheet registered location within the United States.
Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Initiates, leads and delivers significant improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests.
- 9+ years of system architecture experience across multiple languages and frameworks or equivalent experience
- 9+ years' programming experience with technologies such as Java, Python, C#, C++, SQL
- 5+ years web application development
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Experience building highly scalable, high availability applications
- Familiarity with SaaS apps (Google Docs, Office365, Salesforce, etc.)
- Experience with Apache Lucene, Memcache, RabbitMQ, and NoSQL
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related field, equivalent industry experience, or equivalent educational experience
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- Flexible Time Away Program, plus Incidental Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!