When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across different industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to build a top-tier software organization to help design and implement Smartsheet’s next gen architecture. You will mentor other engineers, scale the team and can be a lead on projects. You will promote positive change in the work environment with a track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical partners.
You will be based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to Director/Senior Director of Engineering and you also have the option to work remotely from any Smartsheet registered location within the United States.
Our team focuses on distributed decision-making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Technical leader:
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Ensure all projects that affect the live site are presented in design review
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Initiates, leads and delivers improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across multiple teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
- Manage the team as if it's a small startup in a bigger ecosystem with broad cross-team mindset.
- Product leader:
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Analyze feature sets for implementation efficiency and performance: facilitates feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
- Communicate proactively and often with peers, executives and team members
- Quality Champion:
- Ensure projects are fully tested before being deployed
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests.
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success
- Features are properly monitored and maintained after they go live.
- Resource manager:
- Resources are being deployed appropriately and efficiently with regard to product management goals
- Resource usage, changes, and schedules are kept up-to-date and are communicated effectively
- Actively participate in recruiting
- 10+ years software development experience
- 5+ years previous management experience
- Experience building scalable, high available customer-facing cloud applications
- Experience building teams including, recruiting and retention
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match (50% up to 6%, effective May 1st) to help you save for your future
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!