At Smart Design, the Engineering practice is tightly integrated with all of the design disciplines helping teams to identify opportunities for design to help people in their everyday lives. A primary focus of the engineering team is to discover and prove out opportunities for innovation early in the design process and to work collaboratively on solving the resulting technical challenges.
- Act as supporting team members on client projects working closely with designers during ideation to ensure technical feasibility and design for manufacturing
- Participate in engineering brainstorms to come up with multiple ideas to solve technical problems
- Prototype and model making at varying levels of fidelity, mechanism design, 3D CAD (ProE/Creo preferred), technical documentation
- Clearly communicate technical decisions and able to communicate basic technical requirements
- Performs some engineering analysis through testing
- Involved in user research
Naturally, you have:
- Has or working towards a degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- At least 1 co-op or engineering internship
- Hands on model making skills including prototyping / wood working / machining / welding
- User research experience - talking to real users is a bonus!
- An incurable curiosity relating to all things design
- No fear of teamwork, brainstorming sessions or presenting in front of your team
- Healthy email habits, making you a communicative and responsive team player
- A portfolio or case study examples that show your engineering process (sketches, analysis, prototypes, CAD, and final design)
The role is based in NYC and will need to be local. We work on a hybrid model of 50% in person. Intern rates depend on educational level and will fall between $20-24/hour.