Smarkets is an award-winning, product-focused sports betting technology company headquartered in central London, with offices in Los Angeles and Malta. Our strength is people, technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
Smarkets prides itself on collecting self-starting individuals seeking challenge, and our team members' experiences show this. Come join former financial and adtech engineers, researchers, scientists, PhDs, journalists, and even chefs at one of the most dynamic workforces in London.
Our vision is to upend the betting industry by offering prices as close to fair value as possible on sports, politics, and other events. We are doing this by using technology and the smartest people to solve problems.
We're a fast-growing team of 115 people encompassing over 35 nationalities, with a platform that has handled over £14 billion worth of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world. We have previously ranked second in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 (2017) and been the fastest-growing fintech business in the Financial Times' FT 1000 list of European companies (2018).
We are searching for a People Lead whose leadership will drive Smarkets forward as an employer of choice and execute the people strategy whilst promoting a high performance culture that translates into successful talent acquisition, retention and development plans.
The ideal candidate will be an effective external and internal brand champion, as well as have proven experience in leading both Talent Acquisition and Human Resources functions in an agile, preferably highly tech driven start-up environment. We will be looking for solid ROI cycles in defining, orchestrating and co-executing people focused initiatives as well as the ability to establish and maintain trust relationships across the business whilst navigating a highly transparent and collaborative work environment.
Areas of responsibility:
- Setting clear growth targets and strategies for the business in collaboration with key stakeholders and team members
- Accountability for the successful delivery of the overall people plan through effective internal synergies
- Leading, developing and mentoring a growing team of recruiters and HR members, enabling them to do their best work
- Being an all-round Smarkets champion internally and externally, elevating the Smarkets brand in the talent space
- Reporting to the Leadership Team on the effectiveness of talent acquisition, retention and development initiatives
- Leading whilst navigating a flat management structure and being hands-on if and when needed
- Ensuring we maintain and develop our unique culture as we grow, strengthening our values along the way
- Making sure Smarkets is a genuinely fun place to work where people are afforded opportunities to grow individually and as teams
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree
- Good understanding of and prior work experience in setting up and/or growing Hiring and HR functions for a high growth company
- Minimum of 3 years in a people related leadership position
- Thrives in an agile, fast-paced and entrepreneurial start-up like environment
- Can articulate an inspiring, actionable people vision and strategies, deeply rooted into the company's culture, whilst effectively translating them into tangible plans and seeing them to fruition
- Embodies our Smarkets values of Openness, Ownership, Innovation and Nurture
- Great ability to influence, harness trust and buy-in across different levels of the business
- Strong work ethic, integrity and empathy
- Calm under pressure and the ability to identify and manage conflict effectively
- In-house experience in a fast-growing, tech startup
- Experience operating in or leading a lean Hiring & HR team
- Good awareness of the FinTech/tech startup scene
- A good grasp of employment law and previous experience dealing with ER cases
- Understanding of or prior experience with the talent space in the USA (LA)
- Three meals a day catered by our team of 3 in-house chefs
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Yearly training and conferences budget of £1,000 per employee
- A progressive, transparent culture and great work environment
- Greater flexibility in your role and a flat management style
- Meditation rooms and counseling co-pay scheme to promote well-being
- In-house/External monthly socials with drinks, food and activities included
- A gregarious, collaborative team
- Well stocked complimentary pantry of drinks and snacks
- Central London, penthouse office overlooking St Katharine Docks
- Fluid work environment with sit-stand desks
The starting salary is flexible and it will be dependent on experience. Each employee receives an amount of options. This is a full-time job based at our head office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
Please note that we will be unable to provide Visa sponsorship for this role.