Who are we?
Smarkets is a betting exchange for sports and political trading that has handled over £29 billion in volume since 2010. Our company mission is to fix the betting industry with the best products and best prices. We are upending the sports betting industry by growing a transparent platform that offers the best value for bettors, with the fairest odds, best technology and a superior customer experience.
Smarkets is a Series B tech company that brings a professional, product-led approach to our mission. We embrace collaboration, trust, innovation and scientific rigour, while we celebrate ambitious goals and passionate energy. Our culture rewards people on merit and excellence and we strive to provide a working environment where recognition, challenges, support, collaboration, interesting benefits and shared meals provided by our chefs mix together to let you unlock your potential, grow with us and become your best self.
Join our team and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our betting trading technology landscape.
Role expectations and responsibilities
As a Senior Fullstack Software Engineer within our Engineering organization, you will play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and maintaining the services that power Smarkets' business operations products. You will collaborate closely with engineering managers, technical leadership, and product managers to lead complex technical projects aligned with the Smarkets product roadmap.
The Mops team own the technology which powers our business operations platforms and processes. They work closely with our operations teams located in Malta (customer service, compliance, finance and marketing) to implement the underlying services which drive our revenue generation and customer retention.
As the first Engineering hire in Malta, this role offers a unique opportunity to shape the Smarkets engineering landscape in Malta, contribute to the success of our innovative products, and work within a collaborative team environment. If you are passionate about driving technical excellence and embracing new challenges, we invite you to join us on this exciting journey.
- Design, implement and maintain complex designs/features written in Python microservices
- Leverage your previous experience with Jinja2 as the template engine for the Flask framework to enhance the development and maintainability of operations management systems
- Implement alerting and monitoring to ensure production stability of our services
- Help reinforce the standard for code quality, by writing tests and reviewing Pull Requests
- Continuously improve engineering processes including CI/CD
- Mentor technically your direct teammates
- Work closely with Product to scope and lead complex business goal aligned projects
- Be the champion of the stack by demonstrating first hand how to implement functionalities in the right way, with an eye to the horizon and your mind on the present
- 6+ years of software engineering experience building advanced and high scale microservices for web applications, APIs and data streams
- 3+ years of experience working with Python, including proficiency in Jinja2 for the Flask framework
- Previous experience with DevOps engineering stacks/tools/practices including GitLab and K8S
- Previous experience working as part of business operations aligned team
- Previous experience working in Sport Betting industry
- Strong written and spoken communication skills in English
- The ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
Benefits and Values
We offer a competitive salary package and benefits, along with a dynamic and collaborative work environment. Our values are at the heart of everything that we do which include; push to win, make others better, give a shit, be a pro and bring the energy.
We believe these are the fundamentals to ensure we are delivering what’s expected of us in the best way possible for ourselves and for those around us. Your work with us will make an impact and your voice will be heard. We are a diverse team with a strong work ethic and plenty of hunger to win. We have designed our benefits offering around Health, Wealth, Lifestyle and Development. These include:
- Stock options which vests over 4 years
- Pension scheme
- Health insurance
- 192 hours of annual leave + bank holidays