Smarkets is fixing online betting by making the market more efficient, fair, and valuable -- and doing this while creating a progressive organization structure based on the principles of self-management.
One excellent benefit in the company is our team of proficient and personable chefs who work in a commercial kitchen preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner banquet service for the London office (currently 85 and growing 100% in 2018.)
We are searching to find another chef to join the team – someone who loves food, is eager to contribute their creativity and skill, and is a very positive personal presence. This is an uncommon opportunity to cook, grow, and help us create a new model for a non-hierarchical professional kitchen.
Our Chefs Love Positive Food
Food is an integral element of Smarkets. We believe in the nutritional, social, and business benefits of sharing a meal with others. The entire London team sits down for lunch each day, as we continually evolve how we engage with each other, build deeper relationships, and help move the business forward materially every day.
Our chefs are full employees (with equity) and very visible stewards of the kitchen area that is a hub of activity and energy throughout the day. They see the positive value of food on all levels: planning of menus, quality of ingredients, preparation of meals, interactions with colleagues, and the ability and expectation to make a difference in the company.
Our overall approach should inspire you. This is not a role for someone who is negative, likes to yell, or wants the power of a status-driven kitchen. Arrogant chefs should not apply, as how you cook is as important as what you cook.
- Positively contribute as an equal team-member in the day-to-day running of an expert kitchen
- Take responsibility for the dinner service and clean-down, with overlapping coverage to help finish lunch prep; daily shift (Monday-Friday) from 10 AM to 7 PM
- Maintain a high standard in food production, cleanliness, and organization
- Plan and develop your own recipes, and co-create the recipes of your colleagues. Always ask, “What can we do next?”
- Cater the occasional after-hours events (~50-80 guests) and balance the workload with the other chefs
- Meet all Health & Safety and hygiene standards
- Be a visible and integral member of the Smarkets team; attend relevant company meetings and events.
- Chef de Partie level, with at least 3 years of experience in a high-level kitchen
- Certified in Healthy and Safety and Food Hygiene. NVQ/VRQ Level 1 & 2 qualifications, ideally Level 3
- A proactive, flexible disposition. Someone who values honest communication, teamwork, and integrity
- No restrictions to work with any kind of food
- Excellent level of English
- A very positive attitude and a desire to be in a highly-visible position that requires an outgoing personality. This is not a back-room position.
- An emerging self-management structure. (We have not perfected this yet, so we need everyone to help evolve the model.) In practice, this means the team respectfully debates, decides, and agrees on schedules, menus, and structure. The model works when individuals build trusted relationships, and the team maintains its own high standards – because high standards are the best possible goal.
- Competitive salary and equity in the company
- A defined work-life balance, with only occasional late finishes
- The opportunity to develop your skills in a low-pressure setting with constantly changing menus
- Use of fresh, healthy, and sustainable ingredients
- Un-capped holidays
- Work with one of smartest, diverse, and most profitable tech companies in Europe