Smarkets is a technology company based in central London. We have built, and continue to expand, one of the world's largest betting exchanges. We believe that effective, low-margin exchanges are integral for proper price discovery in prediction markets. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a growing team of over 120, boasting more than 30 nationalities and our platform has handled several billions of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe.
We're building a reliable, low-latency, highly concurrent system capable of handling thousands of executions per second. Our engineers deploy to production several times a day. As we’re rebuilding our infrastructure on AWS, we’re looking for someone passionate to help us building a low-friction, highly available system.
We are looking for a junior devops engineer who is keen to learn and focus more on the databases. Our database of choice is PostgreSQL.
- Expressed interest in learning new programming languages and technologies
- Basic level of SQL knowledge
- Familiarity with a programming language like Python
- Familiarity with open-source software like Linux, BSD, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Programming experience
- Interest in probability, sports and exchanges
- Interest in working with Kubernetes
- Experience with a configuration management tool such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Flexible work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels
- Catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with some of Europe's smartest software engineers
This is a full-time job based at our office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.