The Smarkets exchange is a multi-billion pound trading platform with a rapidly growing ecosystem of sophisticated users who apply financial trading techniques to the world of betting. We’re looking for a Quant Analyst to join our Quant Group to provide valuable, data-driven insights to illuminate the underlying realities of our trading domain.
We’re big on continuous improvement at Smarkets, and so a large component of your role will be to analyse the results of sporting events and make actionable recommendations for what we can do differently next time. Having generated terabytes of data from multiple sources in an interesting and challenging domain, we are now applying this data to more and more complex research and can offer you the opportunity to work on a wide range of problems in this world.
An example project for the team:
In the last couple of months I have been working on a model to predict a component of the volume traded on the exchange. More specifically, we have been trying out different time-series models to predict volume on certain events. This work is interesting for two reasons. Firstly, because I am responsible for the model from end-to-end: from the proof-of-concept, through writing and unit testing the production version, to testing its performance in a live environment. Secondly, it's a novel approach to our understanding of volume on the platform.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collecting, cleaning, structuring, analysing and visualising sports betting data from different sources
- Researching, implementing, backtesting, shipping and monitoring data-based algorithms
- Improving our technical and fundamental market models
- Extending and improving our data pipelines from an engineering perspective
- Collaborating with data scientists and engineers across Smarkets
- Defining your role in the context of self management (we’ll help you with this)
- Masters or PhD in a numerate subject such as maths, physics or statistics
- Solid statistical knowledge
- Strong coding and software engineering skills
- Experience in analysing challenging data sets
- Interest in developing trading strategies
- Experience of working with large datasets
- Experience of working with statistical or numerical programming tools such as Python, R, Julia or MATLAB
- Database querying knowledge (PostgreSQL)
- Research-level working in econometrics, machine learning, statistics or mathematics
- Experience in sports betting
- Professional software development experience
We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. With our self-management structure, flexible work environment and uncapped holiday allowance, Smarkets offers a unique opportunity to be part of a great work culture. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day. Food is big at Smarkets, and lunch al’desko is officially banned.
The salary range for this role is from £45,000 to £60,000 including stock options and other benefits. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and unlike a lot of other companies, we disclose salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.