Smarkets is a technology company based in central London, with offices in Malta and Los Angeles. We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges, also known as a prediction market, with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
Smarkets takes a stand for integrity by providing a superior online investment platform that facilitates honest, user-centered trading on sports, politics and current events.
We're building a reliable, low-latency, highly concurrent system capable of scaling to thousands of executions per second with sub-millisecond latency. The Smarkets platform is written predominantly on Python and Erlang, and relies heavily on asynchronous programming techniques. We deploy to production several times a day.
We're a growing team of over 100, boasting more than 30 nationalities, and our platform has handled over £3 billion of bets since launching in 2010. Smarkets is now one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Last year we were ranked in the top five of both the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 and Deloitte Fast 50.
Our mission is to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world by rethinking the betting business model. We believe traditional sports betting rips off bettors, taking up to a 15% margin on bets. We offer the industry's lowest margin of 2%.
- Analyse large volumes of structured data
- Research, implement, backtest, ship and monitor data based algorithms
- Improve technical and fundamental market models
- Manage sport betting data, participate to our data infrastructure developments
- Take leadership in projects and scale up our a quant-driven trading desk
- Define your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- 3 years or more experience in an algorithmic trading or sports modelling or quantitative sports betting role
- Master or PhD Degree in a relatable subject such as maths, physics, statistics
- Solid statistical knowledge
- Strong coder
- Experience of working with large datasets & statistical or numerical programming tools such as Python, R, Julia or MATLAB
- Interest in analysing data and developing trading strategies
- Database querying knowledge
- Research-level work in econometrics, machine learning, statistics or mathematics
- Software development experience
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible and collaborative work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels, freedom to choose your computing environment
- Daily catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with one of Europe’s smartest workforces
The salary for this position ranges from £60k to £120k/year + stock options + participation to our profit sharing scheme. Initial salary will be determined by peer review from candidate profile, experience, market rate and interview performance. After 6 months in the company, employees will be able to participate in our set-your-own-salary process.
This is a full-time job based at our office at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.