Smarkets is a technology company based in central London. We have built, and continue to expand, one of the world's largest betting exchanges. We believe that effective, low-margin exchanges are integral for proper price discovery in prediction markets. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a growing team of over 120, boasting more than 30 nationalities and our platform has handled several billions of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe.
We're building a reliable, low-latency, highly concurrent system capable of handling thousands of executions per second. Our engineers deploy to production several times a day. As we’re rebuilding our infrastructure on AWS, we’re looking for someone passionate to help us building a low-friction, highly available system.
This is not a traditional DevOps role - more of a fusion between DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering. In fact, Infrastructure Engineers should not maintain systems. They write code and tools to take care of it instead.
- Define your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- Help make our infrastructure more automated, flexible and robust
- Refine our CI system and release process
- Collaborate with developers to solve system related problems
- Contribute to the organization by advancing culture, challenging colleagues and perpetuating a knowledge-driven environment
- Linux skills
- Basic knowledge of containerised environments
- Working knowledge of AWS
- Familiarity with a scripting language, like Bash, Python
- The ability to learn with enthusiasm
- Strong programming knowledge
- Experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible and Chef
- Distributed systems design experience
- Interest in probability, sports and exchanges
- Interest in working with Kubernetes
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels
- Catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with some of Europe's smartest software engineers
If you are not confident in your coding abilities, you should reconsider your application for this role. This is a highly technical position, and rigorous testing will be required to qualify each candidates proficiency.
This is a full-time job based at our office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.