The Smarkets exchange is a multi-billion pound trading platform with a rapidly growing ecosystem of sophisticated users who apply financial trading techniques to the world of betting. We’re looking for a Quantitative Developer to join our Market Making group.
Our stack is consists of dockerized applications deployed on AWS. Our code is mostly Python with Rust used for performance critical components. We embrace the modern devops culture, practising continuous integration and deploying to production multiple times a day.
An Example project for the team:
"We are pricing lots of football leagues, some of which we know nothing about. There is a nice market making algorithm to price them, and reacts to trades in a way that is consistent across various markets (match winner, both teams to score, over/under etc.). I worked on a project to implement this algorithm in a proper way, starting from a "back of the envelope" prototype of it.
The work involved reading a mathematical paper about the algorithm, finding problems with the initial implementation and rewriting a large portion it to use faster data structures. Both of us wrote code, studied the theory, and analysed the speed and profitability of the algorithm in production. If an outsider looked at us working together, they wouldn't know who is the quant and who is the engineer.
An interesting part of the project was changing a data structure from dictionary to a Numpy array, which allowed us to change a summation in a nested loop into a single matrix multiplication. This made the code much simpler and faster."
We are looking for a Quant Developer who will be working on the following key areas for the team:
- Implementing, backtesting, shipping and monitoring data-based algorithms
- Improving our technical and fundamental market models
- Working to analyse market patterns
- Defining your role in the context of self management (we'll help you with this)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or similar STEM subject.
- 2 years or more experience in building quantitatively driven applications
- Some knowledge in statistics, econometrics or statistical learning
- Strong coding, being able to write efficient and performant code in any OO or Functional language
- Database querying knowledge (PostgreSQL)
- Experience working in a trading environment
- Functional programming experience
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday policies
- Flexible and collaborative work environment
- Daily catered meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), free drinks and food all day, parties on a frequent basis
- Work with one of Europe’s smartest workforces
Initial salary will be determined by peer review from candidate profile, experience, market rate and interview performance. The salary range for this role is from £50,000 to £115,000 and also includes stock options, plus other benefits.
This is a full-time job based at our office in Tower Hill, London.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.