About the team
We design, develop, deploy and operate the real-time exchange systems that run 24/7 all year long. Our responsibilities include risk management and activity journaling, order matching, settlements, and dissemination of market data. We care a lot about reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, and latency. Our high availability requirements dictate emphasis on testability and reproducibility alongside monitoring and alerting.
Our tech stack includes C++ 17, Erlang, and bits of Python. We use Postgres as our main DBMS technology and Apache Kafka for queuing. Our CI is based on Nix; we use property-based testing; https://github.com/smarkets/marge-bot. We ship to production daily.
- You use C++ every day in your current role, recent standards preferred.
- You understand how to design performant (low-latency, high throughput) and reliable distributed systems because you have a good understanding of network programming and distributed failure modes
- You have good data structure and algorithm skills
- You understand how operating systems work (Any Linux Distros) and are familiar with scripting (bash, python etc.)
- You enjoy collaborating with other engineers, data scientists and non-technical members of staff.
- You understand databases (SQL, but also fundamentals)
Smarkets brings a professional approach to the sports betting world which has allowed us to create one of the most sophisticated products in the industry. We embrace collaboration and our culture of trust, innovation, and scientific rigour has enabled us to grow to where we are today. Our people have a large impact on the product - be it changing the direction of our technical stack or pushing new features - you’ll be key in driving Smarkets forward.
Our culture is built on the principles of self-management and rewards people on merit and excellence, avoiding the bureaucracy of pyramid management. Ultimately we are a group of like-minded individuals who enjoy learning, playing, and eating the excellent meals provided by the chefs!