The Smarkets exchange is a multi-billion pound trading platform with a rapidly growing ecosystem of sophisticated users who apply financial trading techniques to the world of betting. We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our core exchange team.
About the team
We design, develop, deploy and operate the real-time exchange systems that run 24/7 all year long. Our responsibilities include risk management and activity journaling, order matching, settlements, and dissemination of market data. We care a lot about reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, and latency. Our high availability requirements dictate emphasis on testability and reproducibility alongside monitoring and alerting.
Our tech stack includes C++ 17, Erlang, and bits of Python. We use Postgres as our main DBMS technology and Apache Kafka for queueing. Our CI is based on Nix; we use property-based testing; we keep master always green. We ship to production daily.
- Proven and demonstrable experience with modern C++ (14/17)
- You understand how to design performant (low-latency, high throughput) and reliable distributed systems because you have a good understanding of network programming and distributed failure modes
- Good data structure and algorithm skills
- Solid Linux and scripting skills (bash, python – or similar)
- You understand databases (SQL, but also fundamentals)
- You have some experience in Erlang (or another functional programming language) or are willing to gain some
Advantageous experience and interests
- A background in financial (e.g. HFT) and/or real-time gaming (e.g. Netcode) industries
- NixOS knowledge would be an advantage
- Experience with Kafka in production
- A good understanding of Postgres
- Erlang/OTP experience
- AWS (or comparable cloud stacks)
- To help you keep your money, we also chip into your pension and feed you three fantastic, freshly prepared meals every day
- Room for you to do things your way
- Uncapped holiday - you take a break when you need it, as long as you don’t leave your team in the lurch!
- A lovely, tranquil office to work in - right in the heart of Saint Katharine Docks
- And yes, we also have the industry standard perks such as a foosball table and massive screens for gaming with your colleagues, team activities and monthly get-togethers - known as “the Expiration party”
Fintech, meet Sports Betting. Smarkets operates a world-leading exchange platform for trading on sports, politics and current affairs. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. Our software operates like a stock exchange, yet is easy to use. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day. Food is big at Smarkets, and lunch al’desko is officially banned.
The fine print:
The salary range for this role is from £70,000-£115,000 and also includes stock options, plus other benefits listed above. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and unlike a lot of other companies, we disclose salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.