Smarkets is a technology company based in central London. We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges, also known as a prediction market, with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion is to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a growing team of over 100, boasting more than 30 nationalities, and our platform has handled over £3 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe.
Our mission is to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world by rethinking the method and model of the betting business. We think traditional sports betting rips off bettors, taking up to a 15% margin on bets. We offer the industry's lowest margin of around 2%. We can and will do better.
We're building a responsive front end to facilitate reliable and low-latency trading with thousands of executions per second and in-depth data feeds to help create informed decisions. We deploy multiple times a day to keep production and master in tight sync.
Smarkets prides itself on collecting individuals seeking challenge, and our team members' experiences show this. Come join former financial and adtech engineers, researchers, scientists, and PhDs at one of the most dynamic workforces in Europe.
- Write clean, modular & testable code with consistent code style.
- Develop and improve the web and mobile applications.
- Contribute to the organization by advancing culture, challenging colleagues and perpetuating a knowledge-driven environment
- Define your own role within the context of self-management (we'll help you get settled)
- Strong coder
- Solid knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Ability to develop views accurately according to design
- The ability to learn with enthusiasm
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Comfortable in a Linux environment
- An appreciation of UX design
- Knowledge of CSS
- Interest in trading, probability, sports and exchanges
- Self-management structure similar to Valve
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible work environment
- Sit-stand desks with wheels
- Catered meals, drinks, parties on a frequent basis
- Central London office
- Work with some of Europe's smartest software engineers
The salary ranges from £45k - £100k/year, including stock options, and other benefits for qualified candidates. Your salary will be determined by peer review.
This is a full-time job based at our office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
If you are not confident in your coding abilities, you should reconsider your application for this role. This is a highly technical position, and rigorous testing will be required to qualify each candidates proficiency.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.