Smarkets fixes broken markets by making them more transparent, efficient, and fair. We are growing globally while creating a progressive organisation based on the principles of self-management.
We are searching for a Global Customer Operations Lead who will contribute significantly to our future. We value technology and innovation – and believe this is the foundation of exceptional customer experiences and value.
If this role resonates with your passions and align with your experience of successfully designing, organizing, and achieving extraordinary customer experiences, and if you want to work with a company built around out-innovating incumbent providers, we would like to hear from you.
One of the most profitable startups in Europe per employee
Smarkets is a global technology company based in London, with offices in Malta and Los Angeles. We operate one of the world's largest betting exchanges (also known as a prediction market) with significantly better odds and fees than the competition on sporting events, politics, and current affairs. Our platform has handled over £5 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a team of more than 100 employees representing over 30 nationalities, are growing quickly, and have been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal. Among our recent awards, Smarkets was named the 11th fastest-growing company in Europe in the current FT1000 ranking; Leap 100 Company of the Year by City A.M.; finished fourth in the Deloitte Fast 50; and second in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
Role, Responsibilities, Experience, Requirements, and Personal Qualities
We have done well to date, and are now in the next phase of growth that includes new products, geographies, and industries. We know that our continued success will require bold visions, thoughtful planning, and disciplined execution. This lead customer service role will be responsible for evolving our customer experience capabilities to keep pace with our growth. Broad responsibilities include
- Set a strategy to ensure the capabilities of the Customer Service team scales as the company grows.
- Identify inefficient practices and processes so that the business remains lean and optimal
- Identify ways improve the customer experience, especially across new geographies and sectors
- Ensure effective communication between multiple offices and among teams
- Mentor employees in order to support their personal growth
- Oversee daily CS activities and be responsible for resolving complex challenges
- Automate customer support wherever possible; have a “build-before-buy” approach
- Communicate customer insights back to the marketing and development teams
- Implementing the Smarkets culture / ethos / philosophy throughout multiple offices
- Coordinating training programmes
- Assist HR executing plans to fulfill hiring needs
Without question, this individual will be smart, mature, emotionally intelligent, and have high standards. We aim to hire people who are concretely clear on their personal drivers and feel an urgent desire to have a tremendous impact in a market-leading company.
What we offer
- An emerging self-management structure – which we have not perfected, so we need everyone to help evolve the model. In practice, this means that teams respectfully debate, decide, and agree/disagree/commit to key issues. The model works when individuals build trusted relationships, teams maintains their own high standards, and the company matures together.
- Competitive salary and equity in the company
- A defined work-life balance, with only occasional late finishes
- The opportunity to develop your skills in a supportive, constantly changing setting
- Three meals a day in the office cooked by our team of professional chef using fresh, healthy, and sustainable ingredients.
- Un-capped holidays
- Central London office
- Work with one of the smartest, most diverse, and most profitable tech companies in Europe
To learn more