The Smarkets exchange is a multi-billion pound trading platform with a rapidly growing ecosystem of sophisticated users who apply financial trading techniques to the world of betting. We’re looking for a data analyst to join our marketing team and provide valuable, data driven insights on the impact of marketing campaigns.
We’re big on continuous improvement at Smarkets, and so a large component of your role will be to analyse the results of campaigns and make actionable recommendations for what we can do differently next time. Whether it's boosting our customer retention and reactivation, creating and optimising our marketing activities for the World Cup, or brainstorming how to measure the success of a new idea with your team, you’ll be able to see the impact of your work at Smarkets.
Having generated terabytes of data from multiple sources in an interesting and challenging domain, we are now applying this data to more and more challenges, so there is definitely room for you to be involved in more engineering related activities, such as tooling, so we can sample, combine and extract data from our Redshift and BigQuery databases.
What you’ll be doing:
Embedded in the marketing team, you’ll be able to help our marketers unlock the insights they need by shaping the questions they’re seeking answers to. Ultimately, the work you do will allow your team to make more informed, data-driven decisions. More specifically, you will be:
- Collecting, cleaning, structuring, analysing and visualising data from different sources, making it available and understandable within the company
- Drawing insights about our customers from data and using that knowledge to design marketing campaigns
- Transforming business questions into DB queries and dashboards
- Extending and improving our data pipelines from an engineering perspective; integrating with third party APIs to access external data
- Collaborating with data scientists, engineers and marketers across Smarkets
- Defining your role in the context of self management (we’ll help you with this)
- You’re great at taking ambiguous business questions and turning them into solvable problems
- You are passionate about data analysis and engineering
- You have a great working knowledge of SQL and database technologies in general
- You have a good understanding of the maths behind exploratory data analysis
- You have programming skills, ideally gained from completing a Computer Science degree (or similar) and some experience in data analysis libraries
- Good working knowledge of data warehouse systems like Redshift or BigQuery
- Knowledge of data science, machine learning or scientific computing
- Interest in sports betting or trading
We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. With our self-management structure, flexible work environment and uncapped holiday allowance, Smarkets offers a unique opportunity to be part of a great work culture. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day. Food is big at Smarkets, and lunch al’desko is officially banned.
The salary range for this role is from £40,000-£60,000 including stock options and other benefits. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and unlike a lot of other companies, we disclose salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.