About the Role
Being a Data Engineer at Smarkets involves working on our proprietary streaming services for the engineering and research groups. Our Research teams create strategies that require order book data which needs to be cleaned and accessible by them in a timely manner.
You’ll be responsible for architecting the data pipelines, building the tooling and helping spread domain knowledge to the users to aid strategy creation and ultimately increase PnL. Aside from the longer term projects the data engineers work on continually improving the system in regards to collection, processing, storage and dissemination of data across the business.
Our current tech stack consists of Python, Postgres, Kafka, Redshift, BigQuey and Luigi.
- You’ll be familiar with writing code in either Python or Scala.
- You’ll enjoy collaborating with Quant Strategists to help better define the systems you’ll be creating
- You’ll have dealt with with big data volumes (at least a few Terabytes) and have a great track record of building automated, scalable and robust data processing systems
- You have a good understanding of database technologies and you know the practical and theoretical difficulties of building distributed systems
- You will have worked with data warehouse systems like BigQuery or Redshift and both batch and semi-online building blocks like MapReduce, Spark, Kinesis, dataflow etc.
Smarkets brings a professional approach to the sports betting world which has allowed us to create one of the most sophisticated products in the industry. We embrace collaboration and our culture of trust, innovation, and scientific rigour has enabled us to grow to where we are today. Our people have a large impact on the product - be it changing the direction of our technical stack or pushing new features - you’ll be key in driving Smarkets forward.
Our culture is built on the principles of self-management and rewards people on merit and excellence, avoiding the bureaucracy of pyramid management. Ultimately we are a group of like-minded individuals who enjoy learning, playing, and eating the excellent meals provided by the chefs!