FinTech meets Sports Betting
Smarkets has revolutionised peer-to-peer trading on sporting and political events. We’ve built a platform that operates like a stock exchange, yet is easy to use and has handled over £8 billion worth of trades since 2010. We’ve only been able to achieve this success by hiring bright, creative problem solvers who are motivated by doing the best possible job.
Our aim is to bring genuine value to customers. As we operate in a super competitive space, it’s not enough to just provide customer service. We need you to be motivated by providing excellent support to customers and see the value in doing this.
Currently looking for a committed new team member to join our success story. We’re not looking for someone who is content with doing “just enough.” Ours is a competitive business – we want people who see the challenge and value in excellent performance. This is the mindset that we need in all areas of the company in order to win.
About the role:
You’ll be the first point of contact for all Smarkets customers. You will interact and manage relationships with our customers through multiple channels, as well as ensuring the site is live and accessible. More specifically, your role will include:
- Interacting with our customers through live chat on the website, phone, email and social media.
- Processing payments, checking and approving customer documentation.
- Collaborating with other teams, including marketing and software engineering to make sure issues impacting our customers are fixed in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicating issues to customers and ensuring that expectations are managed properly.
- Providing an exemplary level of customer support and user experience.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
Smarkets adopts a self-managed work style, which allows people freedom and creativity to work on the problems that interest them, and solve them in the right way. In our commitment to transparency, we publish our salary data internally and have a genuine open-door policy. You’ll thrive in this environment if you like to discuss your ideas with others and work out solutions together. There is plenty of opportunity for you to be involved in tasks that may traditionally be outside of client services teams. This could include collaborating with our marketing team on social media activities or working with our data teams on match fixing detection and identifying problem gamblers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact with technical and non-technical groups.
- Strong writing and spoken English skills are paramount to the role, this will be assessed during the interview process. If you use the common European framework we require level C2.
- You are able to work a flexible schedule, sometimes including nights, weekends and public holidays.
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- You are a natural problem solver.
- You’ll be able to spot opportunities to help our customers to get the most out of the website.
- Good typing/keyboard skills and computer literacy.
- Familiarity with bookmakers and betting exchanges.
- Passionate about sports.
Our offices are relaxed and casual and we aim to create an environment for happy, productive colleagues. We're located in the heart of St Julian's with sea views from our office sun terrace.
- Catered lunch and snack and drinks bar.
- Team activities and bi-monthly get-togethers - known as “the Expiration party”.
- Office with terrace and sea views of Balluta Bay.
The fine print:
Our office is based The Hedge, Ir-Rampa ta' San Giljan Street St. Julian's
- Basic salary of €24,000 depending on experience + night allowance.
- Equity participation.
- An exciting career opportunity with a fun, forward-thinking, and growing business.
- You must have the right to work in Malta.
- We are unable to assist with relocation.
Please provide in your cover letter reason(s) this role appealed to you and what drives you? Strong writing and spoken English skills are paramount to the role, this will be assessed during the interview process. Please pay attention to detail with your cover letter.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.