Smarkets fixes broken markets by making them more efficient, fair, and transparent. We are growing globally while creating a progressive organisation based on the principles of self-management.
We are searching for a Marketing Director who will contribute significantly to our future. We believe that marketing is complex and multi-faceted – and agree with many of the foundational definitions, such as:
• “Marketing is a process responsible for identifying, anticipating, and satisfying customer requirements profitably.”
• “The whole business seen from the point of view of the final result, that is, from the customer’s point of view.”
• “The truth made fascinating.”
If these views resonate with your passions and align with your experience of successfully conceiving, planning, and achieving extraordinary marketing strategies and campaigns, and if you want to work with a company built around out-innovating incumbent providers, we would like to hear from you.
One of the most profitable startups in Europe per employee
Smarkets is a global technology company based in London, with offices in Malta and Los Angeles. We operate one of the world's largest betting exchanges (also known as a prediction market) with significantly better odds and fees than the competition on sporting events, politics,and current affairs. Our platform has handled over £5 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a team of more than 100 employees representing over 30 nationalities, are growing quickly, and have been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal. Among our 2017 awards, Smarkets was named the 25th fastest-growing company in Europe in the inaugural FT1000 ranking; Leap 100 Company of the Year by City A.M.; finished fourth in the Deloitte Fast 50; and second in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
Role and Requirements
We have done well to date, and are now in the next phase of growth that includes new products, geographies, and industries. We know that our continued success will require bold visions, thoughtful planning, and disciplined execution.
The Marketing Director will be responsible for designing and executing a comprehensive global marketing strategy, and must have prior experience doing this successfully in competitive and fast-moving digital industries. Most likely, this means leadership experience in several growth-stage or globally established companies; bringing to market and scaling brands and multiple products/services; and prior domain experience at a leading marketplace, consumer technology brand, fintech, or financial trading/sports betting platform.
The Director will be responsible for the full portfolio of marketing disciplines. While we don’t expect an expert in every function, the successful individual will have previous experience aligning and driving functions to successful outcomes, including:
- Brand Strategy & Positioning (and the visceral belief that a brand is a relationship.)
- Analytics: we are a technology-led company and value data, metrics, and details. The Marketing Director must be skilled in working effectively with technology teams and an internal engineering mindset, and strongly drawn to defined, quantifiable objectives when launching and executing projects.
- Customer Insight & Experience
- Digital marketing: drive growth through SEO, social media marketing, paid channels, and growth hacking
- PR / Media / Communications: build relationships and campaigns with the press, analysts and other industry influencers/stakeholders
- Affiliates: building customers and brand awareness with appropriate partners that are additive to our product and vision
- Product Marketing: support product, geography, and industry launches
- Creative and Agencies: An understanding of the effective relationship between visual and written mediums, and the ability to work directly with creative teams and agencies for successful campaigns
Without question, this individual will be smart, mature, emotionally intelligent, and have high standards. We aim to hire people who are concretely clear on their personal drivers and feel an urgent desire to have a tremendous impact in a market-leading company.
- An emerging self-management structure – which we have not perfected, so we need everyone to help evolve the model. In practice, this means that teams respectfully debate, decide, and agree/disagree/commit to key issues. The model works when individuals build trusted relationships, teams maintains their own high standards, and the company matures together.
- Competitive salary and equity in the company
- A defined work-life balance, with only occasional late finishes
- The opportunity to develop your skills in a supportive, constantly changing setting
- Three meals a day in the office cooked by our team of professional chef using fresh, healthy, and sustainable ingredients.
- Un-capped holidays
- Central London office
- Work with one of the smartest, most diverse, and most profitable tech companies in Europe