Smarkets is building a reliable, highly concurrent system capable of scaling to hundreds of thousands of executions per second with sub-millisecond latency. By joining us, you’ll be solving real and challenging technical problems, from pushing Python performance to new heights to handling real-time design constraints.
You’ll be an experienced back-end engineer with a passion for solving these types of technical challenges. We have adopted a fluid, self-managing style which allows our teams the freedom to make technical decisions together, with little hierarchy - giving our engineers the opportunity to be genuinely autonomous. With our mission being to revolutionise one of the oldest industries in the world, we’re looking for engineers who are motivated by rethinking the method and model of betting.
The Smarkets platform is written predominantly in Python, Erlang and C++ and relies heavily on asynchronous programming techniques. Our backend tech stack is built around Linux, Docker, Postgres, Kafka, Kubernetes and Ansible.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing robust, high-performance code using Python, Erlang and C++ (different teams use different languages)
- Proactively fixing production issues and positively contributing to the engineering culture by sharing your knowledge and discussing solutions with colleagues
- Advocating for code quality. You’re a believer in the power of code reviews, test driven development, continuous delivery (we deploy to production several times a day) and most importantly, continuously improving
- Defining your role in the context of self management (we’ll help you with this)
- You’ll have experience of solving similar technical challenges
- You are comfortable with DevOps, data structures, algorithms and relational databases
- You are content in a Linux environment
- You are passionate about code quality
- A trading and/or betting background
- Functional programming experience
- Experience with web technologies and methodologies like web servers, REST, and protocol buffers
We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. With our self-management structure, flexible work environment and uncapped holiday allowance, Smarkets offers a unique opportunity to be part of a great work culture. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day.
The salary range for this role is from £65,000 - £100,000 including stock options and other benefits. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and unlike a lot of other companies, we disclose salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.