Software Engineer - React
We are looking for a Junior Software Engineer who is looking for focus on the front-end and specifically using React Native. Smarkets adopts a fluid, self-managing style which allows our teams the freedom to make technical decisions together, with little hierarchy - giving our engineers the opportunity to be genuinely autonomous. With our mission being to revolutionise one of the oldest industries in the world, we’re looking for engineers who are motivated by rethinking the method and model of betting. This role is focussed on building a great experience for our users and will require excellent team collaboration across design, marketing and other parts of engineering.
What you will be doing?
- Writing clean, modular and testable code with consistent code style
- Developing new features for our existing platform with a strong focus on making customer experience memorable for the right reasons
- Contributing to the engineering culture at Smarkets, sharing your knowledge and ideas with others, and being open to working in different ways
- Defining your own role within the context of self-management (we’ll help you with this)
- Building the user interface and design language across different platforms
You will have
- Experience with HTML, CSS, JS and an understanding of the best practices
- Good familiarity with React, REST APIs and Websockets
- Experience using the latest web stacks or libraries
- A focus on quality, the things you work on will get used by millions of customers - you’ll write clean, componentized and well-tested code, heavily favouring reuse
- Experience writing native mobile applications
- Experience in Objective C/Swift or Java
- Comfortable in a Linux environment
The front-end team are responsible for managing the website and the android & iOS apps. The team is split into two sub teams of website & apps. Since we use React and React Native respectively and thanks to the similarity of their syntax everyone can and work on both of those projects without having to go through a steep learning curve of a new technology.
The web site was rebuilt in React about two years ago and back then the initial focus was to reproduce all the functionality of the older site in the newer technology. These days, we've comfortably surpassed that goal and can focus more on usability, performance and key features.
We ask ourselves - how can we make things simpler, more intuitive and easier?
We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. With our self-management structure, flexible work environment and unlimited holiday allowance, Smarkets offers a unique opportunity to be part of a great work culture. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day.
The salary range for engineers at Smarkets is £40,000 to £65,000 per year, including stock options and other benefits. Your salary will be determined by experience.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.