What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology and marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $46 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile and web ordering experience for consumers, and by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, and marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
About the Role
As a Lead DevOps Engineer, you will be a key member of the DevOps Team, mentoring DevOps Engineers of all levels, and assisting leadership with all aspects of the operational process and various development requirements. Your expertise will help ensure the company remains compliant with our standards as it continues to scale. You will partner with Product Engineering, QA, Finance and especially the Data teams to analyse and test the impact of changes on our development and production platforms. You will be responsible for CI and deployments, Cloud Infrastructure and, SRE. You are detail-oriented, efficient and adept at identifying procedures and control improvements across a global organisation. You will generate documentation for a myriad of procedures from a variety of different departments. You will support and coach Engineers to use CNF strategies and tooling to reduce costs and increase efficiency. You will report to the Senior Director of DevOps.
What you’ll do:
- Project Planning - You will be heavily participating in the Team’s Project and Quarterly plannings with the Director to ensure on-time delivery and successful delivery of our team and company objectives.
- Iteration Planning - You will be leading the iteration planning meetings and provide technical estimates as to delivery timelines.
- Overseeing Operations - You will oversee production and development environments to ensure our customers get all the pizza.
- Deploy Engineering - You will be responsible for ensuring the smoothest possible developer experience for code deployments.
- Metrics/Monitoring - You’ll be measuring operating system and application performance, and working with the development teams to get the most from our resources, and letting the service teams know when they’re approaching or exceeding those limitations.
- Developing - You’re going to participate in systems design consultations, platform management, capacity planning, and building internal tooling to make every day better than it was before. You’ll do this by creating sustainable systems and uplifting your team and others throughout the organisation.
- Leading and Motivating - You will lead an incredibly talented team of DevOps Engineers to perform their best and delivering daily.
- Educating - You will teach your team, peers and others with kindness and empathy to make those around you better.
- Troubleshooting - There’s always something that needs some reverse engineering. You’ll have the experience to be able to identify where the source of an issue is and provide a potential solution.
- Documenting - The DevOps team has the most documentation at Slice. You will continue that charge and lead by example, by continuing to build on our documentation-based culture.
- Mastery of Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu) on the command line.
- Vast Experience with Docker/Docker-compose.
- Knowledge of Python/Ruby/Perl/Shell Scripting, with emphasis on Python.
- 10+ years of Experience managing DNS (of at least 1000 domains or 1mm records)
- 6+ years Experience with AWS (any certificates are a bonus)
- Exposure to cloud providers (GCP, Heroku, Rackspace, etc).
- 5+ years Experience managing Web Applications Firewalls (AWS WAF / Cloudflare)
- 6+ years Experience with SCM systems(Github, Gitlab, etc).
- 6+ years Experience with administrating, managing, and maintaining RDBMS clusters.
- 6+ years Experience with APM / Custom Metrics & Monitoring tools such as New Relic and/or DataDog.
- 6+ years Experience managing “no-downtime” production clusters (High volume)
- Exceptional problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment (You can context-switch and interruptions are okay).
- Heavy practical experience with Ansible in production environments
- Experience interfacing and working with end-users and clients.
- Understanding of Agile SDLC.
- Knowledge of SSL certificate generation procedure, CSR creation and key, cert and CA installation.
- Heavy previous experience with Terraform including importing configurations, and building tested infrastructure as code.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP socket IO, HTTP vs HTTPS, FTP, SFTP and other protocols.
- Networking knowledge (7 layer OSI model - yes, it's old, but the method works, Firewalls, Switches, VPN's, gateways etc. and this will definitely earn you extra credit)
- Experience with Apache Mesos is a massive plus. Kubernetes or Nomad experience is also a plus
We operate like a startup, so being self-motivated, curious, and flexible is a good start. You prefer to come up with your own solutions to problems but are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy making suggestions for how to improve our product and business, no matter the department. You’re the kind of person who roots for the underdog. And lastly, this job will probably be a lot easier if you have a soulmate-level love for authentic pizza.
Join a community of engineers who combine creativity, curious minds and a commitment to excellence with the desire and commitment to grow and build on the engineering skill base and community here in Northern Ireland. Missing a few of the criteria but have worked in a pizza shop, or feel you can solve some of our interesting problems? Why not get in touch!
- Market Leading Salary
- Strong Pension contribution
- Personal Health, Dental and Eye Care
- Income and Death insurance
- Cycle Scheme of up to £2500
- £750 per annum self-learning budget
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Market leading Maternity and Paternity Schemes
- Flexible working / Hours and WFH
- Generous time off allowance and policies
- Free Friday Pizza and Monday Breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen/snacks
- Annual conference attendance and training/development budget
- Substantial gym membership discount
- Discounts for local Pizzerias
How to apply?
A CV gives us a good idea of your background, we are interested in your latest work and projects. Education is great to see, but it's not overly important to us. If you have them, be sure to include links to any personal projects, blogs, contributions, or anything you want to add to your application.
My Pizza Slice Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and we value Diversity. We appreciate the differences in style and perspective as we believe it adds value to the organisation, and we aim to recruit like minded employees. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.