What is Slice?
Pizza is at the heart of our communities. From birthday parties to game-day potlucks, life’s special moments are bettered by the craftsmanship and tradition found behind local pizzerias’ counters. We’re here to make sure these iconic small businesses serve our communities for generations to come by giving them the digital tools and services commonly found at big chains. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Slice, Belfast is one of the company’s busy technology hubs and home to many of our Software specialists, Designers, Product and People Teams. We have a world class office and an office culture that is second to none, so we hire the best!
We are looking for a business savvy Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts.
You will be responsible for expanding and optimising our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. You are an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, business-intelligence and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery.
You'll be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You are excited by the prospect of optimising or even building a new component of our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives. We believe in tested automation of pipelines. As well as being agile in producing the data pipelines, you'll be able to test those pipelines to ensure a robust and stable platform, without data leakage and with understanding of the expected outcome.
What you'll do:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability
- Build and support the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using modern frameworks and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Build pipelines between slice systems and external systems to ensure data is in the right place to help the business achieve its goals
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and DevOps teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Keep our data separated and secure
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members which assist them in building and optimising our product into an innovative industry leader
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Strong programming skills in Java, Scala, Golang or C#
- Experience building and optimising ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience with scheduling tools (Airflow or similar and understanding their limitations)
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Demonstrable ability to work with cloud based data technologies
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Building and Maintaining CICD pipelines for job and infrastructure deployment
- Experience of building processes to support data transformation and data structures
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Experience with AWS (what we use) or other cloud based platforms, with a desire to learn AWS. Infrastructure management using terraform would be a bonus
- Knowledge of building processes to support metadata, dependency and workload management
- Experience with (one or more) Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Flink would be particularly beneficial
- Working with streaming data, knowledge of joins and stateful processing would be a bonus
We operate like a startup, so being self-motivated, curious, and flexible is a good start. You prefer to come up with your own solutions to problems but are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy making suggestions for how to improve our product and business, no matter the department. You’re the kind of person who roots for the underdog. And lastly, this job will probably be a lot easier if you have a soulmate-level love for authentic pizza.
Join a community of engineers who combine creativity, curious minds and a commitment to excellence with the desire and commitment to grow and build on the engineering skill base and community here in Northern Ireland. Missing a few of the criteria but have worked in a pizza shop, or feel you can solve some of our interesting problems? Why not get in touch!
- Industry Leading Salary
- Share Options
- Strong Pension contribution
- Health and Dental Care
- Income and Death insurance
- £750 a year to use for any self learning/education
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Market leading Maternity and Paternity Schemes
- Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible working
- Generous time off allowance and policies
- Free Friday Pizza and Monday Breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen/snacks
- Annual conference attendance and training/development budget
- Substantial gym membership discount
How to apply?
A CV gives us a good idea of your background, we are interested in your latest work and projects. Education is great to see, but it's not overly important to us. If you have them, be sure to include links to any personal projects, blogs, contributions, or anything you want to add to your application.
My Pizza Slice Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and we value Diversity. We appreciate the differences in style and perspective as we believe it adds value to the organisation, and we aim to recruit likeminded employees. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.