Pizza is at the heart of our communities. From birthday parties to gameday potlucks, life’s special moments are bettered by the craftsmanship and tradition found behind local pizzerias’ counters. We’re here to make sure these iconic small businesses serve our communities for generations to come by giving them the digital tools and services commonly found at big chains. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
About the Role
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will be a trusted member of the DevOps Team, mentoring DevOps Engineers, and assisting the Lead DevOps Engineer(s) with all aspects of the operational process and various development requirements. Your expertise will help ensure the company remains compliant with our standards as it continues to scale. You will partner with Product Engineering, QA, Finance and especially the Data teams to analyze and test the impact of changes on our development and production platforms. You will be responsible for CI and deployments, Cloud Infrastructure and, SRE. You are detail-oriented, efficient and adept at identifying procedures and control improvements across a global organization. You will generate documentation for a myriad of procedures from a diaspora of different departments. You will support and coach Engineers to use CNF strategies and tooling to reduce costs and increase efficiency. You will report to the Senior Director of DevOps.
What you'll do:
- Project Planning - You will be participating in the Team’s Project and Quarterly plannings, with the Team Lead and Director to ensure on-time and successful delivery of our team and company objectives.
- Iteration Planning - You will be participating in team iteration planning meetings, to highlight technical issues in delivery.
- Overseeing Operations - With the team, you’ll be overseeing the production and development environments to ensure our customers get all the pizza.
- Deploy Engineering - You will be helping to ensure the smoothest possible developer experience for code deployments.
- Metrics/Monitoring - You’ll be measuring operating system and application performance, and working with the development teams to get the most from our resources, and proposing alerts for the service teams to know when they’re approaching or exceeding those limitations.
- Developing - You’re going to participate in systems design consultations, platform management, capacity planning, and building internal tooling to make every day better than it was before. You’ll do this by creating sustainable systems and uplifting your team.
- Leading - You will be seen as a technical leader and be sought out by those on the team to help others deliver.
- Troubleshooting - There’s always something that needs some reverse engineering. You’ll have the experience to be able to identify where the source of an issue is and provide a potential solution.
- Documenting - The DevOps team has the most documentation at Slice. You will continue to help the team by continuing to build on our documentation-based culture.
- Mastery of Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu) on the command line.
- Deep Experience with Docker/Docker-compose.
- Knowledge of Python/Ruby/Perl/Shell Scripting, emphasis on Python.
- 5+ years of experience managing complex DNS installations.
- 3+ years Experience with AWS (any certificates are a bonus)
- Exposure to cloud providers (GCP, Heroku, Rackspace, etc).
- 2+ years Experience managing Web Applications Firewalls (AWS WAF / Cloudflare)
- 3+ years Experience with SCM systems(Github, Gitlab, etc).
- 3+ years Experience with administrating, managing, and maintaining RDBMS clusters.
- 3+ years Experience with APM / Custom Metrics & Monitoring tools such as New Relic and/or DataDog.
- 3+ years Experience managing “no-downtime” production clusters.
- Exceptional problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment (You can context-switch and interruptions are okay).
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience interfacing and working with end-users and clients.
- Previous Experience with Terraform, importing configurations, and building tested infrastructure as code.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP socket IO, HTTP vs HTTPS, FTP, SFTP and other protocols.
- Knowledge of SSL certificate generation procedure, CSR creation and key, cert and CA installation.
- Practical Experience with Ansible in a production environment.
- A desire to make things better than they were the day before.
- Networking knowledge (7 layer OSI model - yes, it's old, but the method works, Firewalls, Switches, VPN's, gateways etc. and this will definitely earn you extra credit)
- Understanding of Agile SDLC.
- Experience with Mesos is a massive plus. Kubernetes experience is also a plus
- Chef (or Puppet) experience (systems configuration tooling).
Slice powers independent pizzerias with the specialized technology, data insights, and shared services they need to serve today’s digital-minded customers. This united network of pizzerias enables these small businesses to thrive against major corporate chains and form the nation’s largest marketplace for authentic pizza. Slice makes it easy for customers to order from their go-to shops and discover their next favorite.
Serial tech entrepreneur Ilir Sela started Slice to solve the digital challenges his family’s New York City pizzerias faced. Today, the Slice team has grown to over 700+ across 5 offices globally. If you’re ambitious, interested in growing your career, and hungry to join one of the fastest growing companies in tech, we may have a role for you. Check out a few awards we’ve recently won for our workplace and culture: Inc., Crain's, BuiltinNYC
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.