Pizza is at the heart of our communities. From birthday parties to gameday potlucks, life’s special moments are bettered by the craftsmanship and tradition found behind local pizzerias’ counters. We’re here to make sure these iconic small businesses serve our communities for generations to come by giving them the digital tools and services commonly found at big chains. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Slice is hiring a Staff Product Designer to drive design vision, strategy, and execution for Search & Discovery within our shop marketplace, while also helping to lead an exciting company-wide design transformation.
This is a unique design opportunity that likely only comes along once in a career—a chance to completely reimagine products and turn them into world-class experiences at a successful, fast-growing company with a meaningful mission and an amazing culture. You'll play a key role in shaping the future of design at Slice and advancing our mission of helping small, independent businesses compete with big corporations. Your perspective and ideas will be highly valued, you'll be empowered to do your best work, and you'll accelerate your career growth.
We look forward to hearing from you!
What you'll do:
- Define vision and strategy. As the design lead for Search & Discovery, you'll work with your cross-functional teammates to develop and align around an inspirational long-term vision for this focus area and define a strategy for achieving that vision. And as a leader for our design team, you'll also help shape the product-level vision and strategy for our entire consumer marketplace.
- Frame and prioritize problems. You'll partner closely with your squad's product manager and engineering lead to break down and clearly define problems and align on which ones to tackle to ensure that your squad is prioritizing the greatest opportunities.
- Facilitate a structured, collaborative, and transparent design process. You'll guide your squad through an end-to-end design process that adapts to the unique needs of each project, but always ensures that problems, objectives, and solution parameters are clearly defined and understood upfront, makes space for divergent exploration and invites in others' perspectives, and keeps your partners involved throughout with the goal of reaching a strong, co-created solution.
- Create simple, intuitive, and delightful designs. You'll translate complex ideas into flows and interfaces that customers love, drive strong outcomes for the business, and continuously elevate the quality of our products.
- Partner with engineers to ensure that design work is implemented as intended. You'll provide engineers with clear guidance about how your design work is meant to be implemented and provide any necessary feedback during the build process to ensure that what we ship meets a high quality standard.
- Provide design feedback and mentorship to fellow designers. You'll provide feedback and guidance to other members of our design team to help them improve the quality and impact of their work, grow their skills, and make progress towards their professional goals.
- Support design team hiring efforts. We're committed to attracting and hiring the best of the best, and that requires a team effort. We'll look to you to help us identify designers with the skills, working style, and mindset to level up our design team and our products.
- Advocate for design. You'll advocate and educate on behalf of our design team, elevating others' understanding of design and its value in driving new strategic thinking, innovation, and stronger customer and business outcomes.
What we're looking for:
- 7+ years of product design experience, including 3+ years of leading large-scale initiatives at a product-centric company. You've been there, done it, and undoubtedly learned a lot along the way.
- Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems, design phenomenal customer experiences, and produce strong customer and business outcomes. You have a shareable portfolio of design work that breaks down the problems you were solving, explains your process for working with teammates to reach a solution, and showcases strong interaction and visual design skills.
- Customer-focused and business-minded. You strive to understand and serve customers' needs in a way that simultaneously furthers the business' short- and long-term objectives.
- Understanding of human behavior. You recognize that, in order to be successful, design must influence how people interact with products and you understand how your design decisions will affect behavior.
- Strong product instincts. You're able to anticipate the effects of product and design decisions with high accuracy and use your judgment to help your team make better decisions.
- Visual design sense and expertise. You have a command of visual design principles and a well-developed aesthetic taste, but you also understand that visual design is about much more than aesthetics and recognize how to leverage visual design to improve usability and direct attention.
- Systems thinking. You're able to think beyond pixels and manage and weave the complexity of different offerings, understanding how each affects the others and contributes to the bigger picture.
- Commitment to craft and quality. You obsess over the details of interaction, visual, and motion design and strive to create the best possible experience for customers.
- Strong collaboration and relationship-building. You're effective at building trust and alignment with team members and peers, and persuading when necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Your communication is clear, direct, and personable, you provide thoughtful rationale for your decisions, and you're comfortable and effective speaking in front of groups of all sizes.
- High agency. You're a self-starter who's able to work independently, overcome obstacles, and drive projects forward with minimal supervision.
- Organization and time management. You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-visibility initiatives simultaneously.
- Open-mindedness. Even when you have a strong conviction in your point of view, you invite and consider others' perspectives and ideas.
- Adaptability. You work in a flexible and empathetic way, understanding that everyone you collaborative with will have unique working styles, and each project will vary in its specific process needs.
- A growth mindset. Last, but definitely not least, you have a strong desire to try new things, learn, and improve.
The best parts of this job:
- Work that matters. All of your work at Slice will be focused on helping hard-working entrepreneurs behind small, independent businesses to succeed and better serve their local communities.
- Ownership and impact. You’ll have true ownership of a large area of work and be in a position to make a huge impact for both our customers and the business.
- Transformation. You’ll be provided the opportunity to rethink and redesign the products that exist today in order to significantly level up the design and help them achieve their potential.
- Design quality. We’re committed to creating best-in-class product experiences and ensuring that all of our designers are put in a position to do the best work of their career.
- Amazing teammates. You’ll be surrounded by smart, kind people that you’ll learn from and enjoy working with on a daily basis.
- Company culture. There are many great aspects of Slice’s culture, but our most special quality is the genuine openness to and willingness to try out new ideas.
- Your dream workspace. To show our commitment to best-in-class design, we set up all of our in-office designers with an Apple Pro Display XDR monitor and whatever else you need to do your best work.
- Career growth. Our business is doing extremely well and growing quickly, which has created a vibrant environment and ample opportunities for learning and career growth. As we continue to grow, so will you.
- FREE PIZZA! Last, but definitely not least, all employees get a weekly pizza stipend in addition to free pizza served at our offices.
Slice powers independent pizzerias with the specialized technology, data insights, and shared services they need to serve today’s digital-minded customers. This united network of pizzerias enables these small businesses to thrive against major corporate chains and form the nation’s largest marketplace for authentic pizza. Slice makes it easy for customers to order from their go-to shops and discover their next favorite.
Serial tech entrepreneur Ilir Sela started Slice to solve the digital challenges his family’s New York City pizzerias faced. Today, the Slice team has grown to over 700+ across 5 offices globally. If you’re ambitious, interested in growing your career, and hungry to join one of the fastest growing companies in tech, we may have a role for you. Check out a few awards we’ve recently won for our workplace and culture: Inc., Crain's, BuiltinNYC
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.