Pizza is at the heart of our communities. From birthday parties to gameday potlucks, life’s special moments are bettered by the craftsmanship and tradition found behind local pizzerias’ counters. We’re here to make sure these iconic small businesses serve our communities for generations to come by giving them the digital tools and services commonly found at big chains. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Slice is looking for a Director of Design Operations to lead the development and evolution of processes, systems, and programs that empower our design team to do its best work while growing professionally in a healthy, fulfilling work environment. Reporting to our VP of Product Design, you'll be responsible for building deep partnerships across the organization, understanding the needs of different stakeholder groups, and establishing scalable internal frameworks to drive high-quality design execution, customer and business impact, and team culture at scale.
What you'll do:
- Design team collaboration: Define structure for regular rituals and team meetings and keep the team in sync through communication of project status, potential overlaps, and key timelines that team members should be aware of.
- Cross-functional collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional leadership to develop working agreements that reduce friction in partnership, increase information flow, communication, and collaboration
- Design transparency: Facilitate communication and visibility of design process and strategy and support transparent workflows between the design team and the rest of the company
- Sourcing and recruitment: Collaborate with recruiting partners to define our design recruiting pipelines/process and attract a talented and diverse pool of candidates
- Interviewing and hiring: Define structured design hiring processes and frameworks to facilitate consistent and accurate evaluations, remove bias, and ensure a positive experience for all candidates
- New hire onboarding: Standardize onboarding practices, tools, and templates to ensure that all new designers are being set up for success and have a great experience joining Slice
- Tooling: Evaluate and implement new tools with designers and cross-functional partners to help designers and their partners collaborate efficiently and productively
- Documentation: Define and keep up-to-date documentation of how the design team works, as well as how to work with all disciplines of the team
- Career development: Work with design leadership and the People team to develop and maintain our skills matrices and growth tracks for design individual contributors and managers
- Design team culture: Foster and champion a healthy, collaborative, and inclusive internal design culture that recognizes and celebrates positive outcomes
- Evangelism: Advocate and educate on behalf of our design team, elevating others' understanding of design and its value
What we're looking for:
- At least 5 years of experience managing Design Operations at scale.
- Strong understanding of design processes, methods, and toolkits to identify opportunities to improve how designers work and develop effective solutions.
- Proven ability to tackle a diverse set of organizational challenges, recognize patterns, and develop strategic and scalable solutions
- Able to facilitate the right balance between not enough process (chaos) and too much (bureaucracy)
- Builds strong relationships throughout the company and earns the trust of team members and peers
- Able to communicate well with a variety of stakeholders openly, directly, and clearly
- Works in a flexible, adaptable, and empathetic way, understanding that each team and individual contributor will have unique work styles, and each project will vary in its specific process needs
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-visibility initiatives simultaneously
- You lean into ambiguity and are always looking for new approaches to simplify complex organizational and scaling challenges
- Extreme empathy for the customer, your teammates, and the company mission
- You have a high bar for quality and attention to detail
- Inspired by the health and happiness of your team (and yourself)
- Humility and openness to trying new approaches
- Passion for supporting teams and enabling designers to do their best work
- An expert at what makes a designer’s heart beat and what they need to be successful
Slice powers independent pizzerias with the specialized technology, data insights, and shared services they need to serve today’s digital-minded customers. This united network of pizzerias enables these small businesses to thrive against major corporate chains and form the nation’s largest marketplace for authentic pizza. Slice makes it easy for customers to order from their go-to shops and discover their next favorite.
Serial tech entrepreneur Ilir Sela started Slice to solve the digital challenges his family’s New York City pizzerias faced. Today, the Slice team has grown to over 700+ across 5 offices globally. If you’re ambitious, interested in growing your career, and hungry to join one of the fastest growing companies in tech, we may have a role for you. Check out a few awards we’ve recently won for our workplace and culture: Inc., Crain's, BuiltinNYC
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.