What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology and marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $45 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile and web ordering experience for consumers, and by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, and marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Read more about our initiatives here.
We are looking for a Principal Data Engineer to provide technical leadership to our growing team. You will be responsible for expanding and optimising our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising highly-available systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, business-intelligence and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimising or building new components for our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives. We believe in innovating to ensure great data quality and require tested automation of our pipelines.
What you'll do:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Embrace, enhance and drive the overall data strategy for the company.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Act as a multiplier by building systems, authoring tools, or introducing policies or patterns that raise the level of productivity of the entire Data organisation.
- Build and support the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using scalable ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics datasets that utilise our pipelines to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Effectively design and deliver large, complex projects and distributed systems, potentially spanning multiple quarters with iterative delivery.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and DevOps teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure.
- Create data tools and products for analytics and data scientist team members which assist them in building and optimising our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Troubleshoot the most complex problems that may occur in the platform.
- Experience with Apache Spark 2.x or 3.x, ideally running within Databricks.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Strong programming skills in Java, Scala or Python using Spark or similar technologies.
- Experience building and optimising ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Demonstrable ability to work with cloud based data technologies.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience of building processes to support scalable data transformation and data structures.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Track record of successfully leading complex engineering projects and mentoring junior engineers.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 7+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
- Experience writing non-trivial Scala code
- Experience with AWS (what we use) or other cloud based platforms, with a desire to learn AWS.
- Knowledge of building processes to support effective data governance / SOC2 compliance.
- Experience with Spark and Kafka would be particularly beneficial.
We operate like a startup, so being self-motivated, curious, and flexible is a good start. You prefer to come up with your own solutions to problems but are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy making suggestions for how to improve our product and business, no matter the department. You’re the kind of person who roots for the underdog. And lastly, this job will probably be a lot easier if you have a soulmate-level love for authentic pizza.
Join a community of engineers who combine creativity, curious minds and a commitment to excellence with the desire and commitment to grow and build on the engineering skill base and community here in Northern Ireland, therefore we do not hire remote engineers. Missing a few of the criteria but have worked in a pizza shop, or feel you can solve some of our interesting problems? Why not get in touch!
- Market Leading Salary
- Strong Pension contribution
- Personal Health, Dental and Eye Care
- Income and Death insurance
- Cycle Scheme of up to £2500
- £750 per annum self-learning budget/working from home allowance
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Market leading Maternity and Paternity Schemes
- Flexible working / Hours and WFH
- Generous time off allowance and policies
- Free Friday Pizza and Monday Breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen/snacks
- Annual conference attendance and training/development budget
- Substantial gym membership discount
- Discounts for local Pizzerias
How to apply?
A CV gives us a good idea of your background, we are interested in your latest work and projects. Education is great to see, but it's not overly important to us. If you have them, be sure to include links to any personal projects, blogs, contributions, or anything you want to add to your application.
My Pizza Slice Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and we value Diversity. We appreciate the differences in style and perspective as we believe it adds value to the organisation, and we aim to recruit likeminded employees. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.