At skyTran, we are an ambitious team who hates traffic. We are building a breakthrough magnetic levitation transportation technology to reduce commute times by 4x. Our mission is to build mobility that delights riders, connects communities and develops beautiful and livable cities.
- Health/dental/vision (90% coverage for employees, 80% for dependents)
- Industry competitive compensation and stock option plan
- Unlimited time off and sick days
- Relocation assistance provided if applicable
- Subsidized Lunch Program
- Performance management program and career development support
- Generous holiday schedule
- Rest Days and Mental Health Days
You will be part of the team whose design will lead to the next generation of exciting new transportation vehicles. The ideal candidate is a team player with an aptitude for learning on the job and applying new techniques and first principles.
- A junior track engineer will take part in specifying, designing and developing skyTran’s next generation track subassemblies. These include corresponding wayside systems for magnetic propulsion, magnetic levitation, braking and other subsystems that make up the core components of our track system.
- You will help generate concepts or will use already developed concepts and assist in taking each system through the development cycle of design reviews, documentation creation, analysis, safety, performance verification and integration with higher level systems.
- You will aid the development of the critical test equipment components that support the development effort of the core systems.
- Your work will be achieved through collaboration with other technical and non-technical members of the skyTran team.
- B.S in Engineering (Mechanical or Civil preferred)
- Proficiency in using engineering first principles for concept generation and evaluation
- Experience in hand calculations and FEA (Ansys or Solidworks FEA) in an academic environment (work experience preferred)
- Proven experience in developing complex new structural products
- Ability to communicate complex principles in a straightforward and succinct manner
- Experience with 3D CAD (CATIA, NX or Solidworks, etc), GD&T and experience in PDM strongly preferred
- Design requirements for next generation MagLev Vehicle higher level systems into component and subsystem requirements
- Design components while taking into consideration: strength of materials, design for vibration, fatigue, harsh environments, and heat transfer principles
- Assist in creating interface control and assembly drawings
- Learn to perform preliminary structural analysis using industry simulation tools
- Learn the operation of Solidworks and CATIA CAD design tool for generating parts and assemblies, developing concept layouts, collaborating with other team members’ work
- Implement design tools including FMEA, GD&T, tolerance analysis, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis
- Learn to apply manufacturing processes and procedures to improve designs
- Learn the use of Laser Trackers or design for use of Laser Trackers for precision alignment
- You understand the big picture and what needs to be done to achieve it while also being able to dive into the nitty-gritty to get things done.
- Superb creativity, vision, and problem-solving skills
- You possess the ability to research, understand and apply new technologies/software/techniques to generate concepts in response to system requirements
- Hands-on attitude in assembly, maintenance, and/or mechatronics
- You are levelheaded. You get things done, regardless of external circumstances.
- You have a high level of curiosity
- You can work alone or as part of a team
In the first 90-days on the job, you will:
- Learn our MagLev architecture and apply what you learn to generate concepts
- Help determine system level architecture and capture requirements that bring us to a detailed design of a certifiable system
- Assist in the design of one or more systems of our MagLev architecture and see it through a gated review process
In the first year, you will:
- Generate designs for subcomponents and see them through multiple design reviews
- Help develop and build multiple test and demonstration systems in the US and abroad
- Help develop and test alignment methods for individual sub-systems
- Help develop tooling concepts to aid in alignment of parts and structures
We are a tight-nit and ambitious team - our motto is "One Team, One Ride". Everyone is valued for their contributions and has a responsibility to both challenge and support the team. We overcome challenges and enjoy victories together.
Inclusion is a core part of skyTran’s vision, and valuing all voices is a key company value. skyTran is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.