Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
Skydio’s mission is to make the world more productive, creative, and safe with autonomous flight. We are looking for a strategic, seasoned and driven policy professional to accelerate the realization of that mission. This position will focus on the federal government, partnering with Congress and federal agencies.
You will develop and lead policy on a range of important issues, including advancing national security and making soldiers safer by supporting the use of Skydio drones by the military, promoting a regulatory and policy framework designed to ensure US leadership in a new era of advanced aviation (including by enabling automated and autonomous drone operations), and unlocking the potential for Skydio drones to transform the way companies and state DOTs inspect and maintain critical infrastructure.
The level and title of the role will depend on the experience and interests of the successful candidate.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Represent Skydio before Congress, with a focus on the Armed Services, Appropriations, and Transportation/Commerce committees.
- Represent Skydio before federal agencies, with a focus on the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Transportation, and Federal Aviation Administration.
- Represent Skydio in key industry associations, building relationships across the community.
- In coordination with Skydio’s regulatory team, support Skydio’s regulatory objectives by partnering with policy makers, regulatory agencies, and customers.
- Support Skydio’s pioneering work to develop and implement ethical and policy principles to ensure our business decisions align with our values.
- Monitor and lead Skydio’s response to policy proposals and rulemakings from federal agencies, industry associations, and standards bodies.
What would make you a strong fit:
- 5+ years of experience in federal policy is required, ideally related to defense and national security, technology innovation, and/or aviation and transportation. 8+ years of experience is preferred.
- Experience as a Congressional staffer is required, and service on the Armed Services or Transportation/Commerce committees is preferred. Former Armed Services Committee staff or Military Legislative Assistants would find this role uniquely exciting and valuable.
- Experience with appropriations--especially defense appropriations--is preferred.
- You are a storyteller by nature. At Skydio, we believe policy work is storytelling by another name. You excel at casting a vision and sharing stories about the transformational impact of technology in a way that naturally advances policy objectives.
- You understand that significant victories are never achieved alone. You excel at building and sustaining support for forward-leaning objectives by working across multiple axes, including the executive branch, the legislative branch, industry associations, and public relations.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment with competing demands on your time.
- Exercise proactive, creative leadership. Spot issues before they become problems.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complicated topics--such as autonomy--to partners and policy makers.
- Ability to travel, as required (likely no more than 10-30% of the time).
- A B.A. or B.S. degree. Advanced degrees--including law degrees--are preferred.
Compensation Range: The annual base salary range for this position is $144,500 - $194,250*. Compensation will vary based on factors, including skill level, proficiencies, transferable knowledge, and experience. In addition to base salary, Skydio full-time employees are eligible to enroll in our benefit plans and take advantage of a variety of incentives and stipends.
*For some positions the pay may be dependent upon the individual's regional location.#LI-Remote
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/