Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
Skydio builds incredibly complex flying robots, and our hybrid contract manufacturing / in-house manufacturing capability provides the high quality and rapid iteration we need. The Manufacturing Software team develops our suite of manufacturing software and infrastructure that manages every aspect of manufacturing:
- Touches every product we make, throughout it’s entire lifecycle, from creation to return
- This is as full stack as it gets - backend, frontend, infrastructure. A small team that owns and manages multiple systems over hundreds of instances (with support from other teams)
- Interact with all our engineering teams and products - embedded, cloud, flight test, wireless, hardware, manufacturing, and more
As a member of the Manufacturing Software team, you’ll be a core contributor to turning prototypes into finished products at scale. You’ll help build the tools used by multiple teams every day to build state-of-the-art autonomous flying machines. And you’ll do it all with a great group of people.
- Python+Flask backend + on-machine, Protobufs for IPC and RPC
- React+Typescript frontend
- On-prem containerized Linux client machines and servers, Terraform+AWS backend cloud
- Hardware-In-the-Loop build validation systems
- Remote OS build, container, and image deployment over fault-tolerant global managed VLANs
Team Project Examples:
- Implement an on-prem/cloud hybrid log aggregation solution to allow production lines to continue in the face of internet outages
- Hardware-In-the-Loop CI system that includes a full replica of existing manufacturing lines, drones and manufacturing hardware included, to validate our manufacturing software before deployment
- Code and OS deployment system to physical manufacturing station machines all over the globe, inside of weird and hostile networks, with redundant deployment safety systems
- Build a visual configuration tool for documenting and changing how manufacturing processes work and change on the fly
How you'll make an impact:
- Architect our next generation manufacturing system, from front to backend to infrastructure
- Design secure, efficient, observable, scalable, and robust software for dealing with real-time and historical manufacturing data and from out manufacturing lines
- Leverage your experience and best practices to not only uphold but improve Skydio’s engineering standards
What makes you a good fit:
- You love having fun building great product and enjoy working on systems that involve hardware and software (5+ years of experience preferred)
- You have experience building and delivering scalable and secure cloud based systems with a high proficiency in modern cloud technologies. Direct experience with our stack (Typescript, React, Python, Terraform, AWS) not required.
- You are comfortable navigating and delivering within a complex codebase
- You have demonstrated ability to take a concept and systematically drive it through the software lifecycle: architecture, development, testing, and deployment, and monitoring
- Preference towards over-communication than under-communication. You’re a patient troubleshooter, comfortable asking for help when you need it, and giving help whenever you can.
- Willingness for light travel - a few days at a time, a few times a year
Compensation Range: The annual base salary range for this position is $170,000 - 258,000*. Compensation will vary based on factors, including skill level, proficiencies, transferable knowledge, and experience. In addition to base salary, Skydio full-time employees are eligible to enroll in our benefit plans and take advantage of a variety of incentives and stipends.
*For some positions the pay may be dependent upon the individual's regional location.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/