Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced and innovative attorney to lead our product counseling and intellectual property legal team. This role will partner with senior executives throughout the company to help drive strategy and advise on new and ongoing product initiatives and product launches. This role reports to our Head of Legal, and offers the opportunity to build and lead a critical, cutting-edge practice in a fast-growing global company. We would prefer the role to be based in the Bay Area, but will consider exceptional remote candidates. This position will be instrumental in building trust in the Skydio brand and enabling Skydio to carry out our mission of making the world more productive, creative, and safe with autonomous flight.
- Leading a team of attorneys focused on counseling our product, engineering and operations teams on product development for the global market, intellectual property, consumer protection, privacy and data security compliance, and product launches across all major markets
- Exercising proactive, creative leadership. Spot issues before they become problems.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive compliance program to facilitate product and regulatory compliance
- Identifying and evaluating business and legal risks, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Developing and driving cohesive, long-term legal strategies that balance risk and business objectives
- Working cross-functionally with attorneys from other legal teams such as regulatory, corporate, commercial, and litigation
- Mentoring and developing a team of lawyers--setting priorities and driving progress.
- Updating the business on important legal developments in the consumer protection laws and other product-related regulations
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 8+ years of legal practice, including extensive product counseling experience at a tech hardware, software or services company
- Experience advising business and technical teams on launching new products and features
- Management experience building and leading diverse teams
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with internal and external audiences;
- Execution oriented mindset with the humility, drive, and scrappiness to get things done
Other Relevant Qualifications:
- Experience in the intellectual property and litigation area
- Technical education or background
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnany, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/