Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role: Skydio is building a secure, global, connected drone platform to bring unprecedented capabilities for major enterprise and government sectors. We are seeking an experienced Engineering Director to grow and lead our Software Infrastructure Team. An ideal candidate has both management & hands-on skills who can help the team architect, implement, deploy, maintain, and scale the underlying infrastructure required to deliver Skydio autonomy at scale.
The team’s goals reach across several areas of focus, which include:
- Observability: We are laying foundations that provide end-to-end visibility into the entire landscape of Skydio services both external and internal
- Developer Ergonomics & Productivity: How fast can we turn an idea into production grade deployment?
- Software Development Lifecycle: We ship a lot of code across the teams. Our continuous integration, delivery, and deployment systems are key pieces of automation that keeps Skydio flying
- Site-Reliability Engineering: How do we build and maintain robust systems for our cloud software applications?
Local candidates are preferred, but all interested and qualified individuals located in the Pacific or Mountain time zones are strongly encouraged to apply!
How you'll make an impact:
- Develop and deliver the systems that enable enterprise use-cases on the Skydio Platform
- Work on cross-team goals, collaborating across software, autonomy, product management, embedded, mobile, cloud, hardware, and flight test teams with an emphasis on excellent communication
- Hire and mentor world-class engineers to rapidly scale up your team
- Use your experience to drive standard processes and improve Skydio’s engineering standards and infrastructure investments that make us successful
- Promote and implement best-practice security mechanisms across all Skydio software
What makes you a good fit:
- Technical leader with strong software engineering experience and a track record of delivering sophisticated products
- Proven leadership, management, recruiting, team building, and interpersonal skills
- Direct experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, and related Observability tools
- Familiarity with build systems, polyglot software repositories, and CI/CD systems
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnany, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/