Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
Skydio builds fully self-flying camera drones that use computer vision and machine learning to record high-quality, cinematic video. As a collaborative member of our small-but-mighty embedded software team, this individual will leverage deep knowledge of ISP pipelines and ARM-based camera SoCs to drive development of state of the art camera subsystems for current and next-gen products.
About the Team:
- Our team is responsible for large portions of the software engineering stack, working on a wide variety of subsystems. We write bare metal and RTOS microcontroller code, integrate and write code for embedded linux and android platforms, maintain the associated linux kernels, and help design and bring up all new electronics.
- We develop camera systems for autonomous drone navigation, consumer/prosumer media capture, and commercial inspection & situational awareness from customer use case analysis to requirements definition, product development, factory bringup, characterization, tuning, and validation through mass production
- We work closely with both the hardware team and the rest of the software organization, creating a foundation for the rest of the software stack to build upon.
How you'll make an impact:
- Ownership of camera subsystems
- Contribute to design and bring up of ISP and camera module hardware
- Specify and implement configuration of the ISP and encoder pipelines
- Work closely with image quality tuning, calibration, & test engineers to deliver final mass production camera software
- Development of next generation image processing algorithms for autonomous flying cameras
- Bring up and debug new hardware
What makes you a good fit:
- Experience with ISP development for complex ARM Linux/Android based camera SoCs
- Deep knowledge of ISP pipeline architectures and experience configuring & debugging front end, bayer processing, and post processing segments
- Experience with algorithm development for CPU, DSP, GPU, and ISP
- Experience with stabilization algorithms and tuning: OIS, EIS
- Familiarity with Android camera HAL3, Linux V4L2, AVC, and HEVC
- Ability to write modern C++ in a real-time embedded environment
- Python development experience
- Ability to write clean code with appropriate abstraction boundaries
- Practical experience writing firmware/embedded code for a physical device
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging and code optimization
Compensation Range: The annual base salary range for this position is $170,000 - 258,000, Compensation will vary based on factors, including skill level, proficiencies, transferable knowledge, and experience. In addition to base salary, Skydio full-time employees are eligible to enroll in our benefit plans and take advantage of a variety of incentives and stipends.
*For some positions the pay may be dependent upon the individual's regional location.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/