Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the Team:
- Our Android codebase is primarily written in Java, but we know Kotlin is the future of Android development, and are actively migrating.
- Skydio’s Autonomy Engine is powered by an extensive C++ codebase, which our Android and iOS apps leverage for critical communication with the drone.
About the role: When a drone understands its surroundings, it can respond to a much richer set of input commands, allowing a user with a mobile device to communicate with the drone at a much higher-level than before. We're looking for an Android Developer who is excited to help design, develop, and polish mobile apps for the most powerful real-world tool of our generation.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Design and prototype advanced drone interfaces, and then polish a consistent mobile experience for release to the world.
- Apply your knowledge of the ins and outs of the ecosystem and leverage the unique APIs that Android has to offer.
- Improve user experiences by incorporating augmented reality, in-app content creation, and sharing capabilities.
- Iterate on designs based on user feedback, internal testing, and your own experiences piloting Skydio 2.
What makes you a good fit:
- You've shipped an app in the Google Play Store that you can provide as a reference
- Comfortability working in the Android ecosystem (Java, Android Studio, Gradle, adb, AndroidX libraries) and using Linux
- Experience shipping apps for multiple devices and across platforms
- You can write C++ and have worked with the Android NDK.
- You have are comfortable writing clean Java and Kotlin
- You have used Android Architecture Components and MVVM design pattern
- You know how to create tools and automate your workflow with python scripts.
- You are able to use Android Studio and logs to analyze and debug defects and crashes
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/